Sunday, December 17, 2017

20 Questions Book Tag

I saw this on You, Me, and a Cup of Tea

1. How many books are too many in a series?
Depends on the author...and the genre. For example, if it's a mystery series and each book relatively stands alone with its own mystery...then can a series ever be too long? If it's a series where each and every book ends in a cliffhanger and nothing ever gets settled and stays settled...then yes.
2. How do you feel about cliffhangers? I love it when chapters keep me hanging on...and I have to keep reading. I don't love, love, love end-of-book cliffhangers of ongoing current series. I'd rather wait until the series is mostly done before starting so that I can read them all in a row. The problem with reading a series as it's being released is that if you have to wait a year or eighteen months between books, then you lose track of the story and the characters.
3. Hardback or paperback? Why choose? It depends on so many things. The length of the book, the weight, the size font....how it's bound. I hate paperbacks with tiny print that don't open wide enough to see all the text. I like to buy both. If I really love a book....then a) I'll want more than one copy, b) justify owning more than one copy by saying that I need it in both hardback and paperback. For the record, 98% of the books I buy, I buy used at incredible prices at my local charity shop.
4. Favorite book? I love North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I really have about three hundred favorite books.
5. Least favorite book? I tend to block books I hate out of my mind...which is easy to do since I'm always reading more books that I actually do love. Searching back, I'll go with Jude the Obscure.
6. Love triangles, yes or no? It depends on the book....the characters, the circumstances, the emphasis of the text. If the whole point of the book is the love triangle itself....then chances are I won't enjoy it. If it's a small focus of the text, then sure.
7. The most recent book you couldn't finish? The Stand.
8. A book you're currently reading? Uncle Tom's Cabin.
9. Last book you recommended to someone? The Nutcracker Mice. Truth be told, I don't go more than a day without recommending a book to someone. I am a book pusher.
10. The oldest book you've read? Probably the Bible. I think I did read excerpts from Plato's Republic in college. But I don't think I read it cover to cover, and it was assigned reading.
11. The newest book you've read? I've read a couple of 2018 ARCs.
12. Favorite author? Do you have a couple of days?! Anthony Trollope is one of my favorites to journey along with. Same with L.M. Montgomery. I could highlight a "favorite author" every day for an entire year and still have some left over.
13. Buying books or borrowing books? Both. Any way I can get a book into my house essentially.
14. A book you dislike that everyone seems to love? How about Romeo and Juliet?
15. Bookmark or dog-ears? If it's an ARC, then I dog-ear. Otherwise, it's a bookmark.
16. A book you can always reread? Most anything by L.M. Montgomery. I reread a LOT of books. In fact, if I wasn't so disciplined, I don't know if I'd do anything but reread books.
17. Can you read while hearing music? Yes. I'll explain why. I have constant ringing in one of my ears--have for over a decade. I use noise from the TV or music to balance everything out and get FOCUS. Otherwise, all I hear is two-note whistling 24/7.
18. One POV or multiple POVs? Depends on the author...
19. Do you read a book in one sitting or over multiple days? Usually multiple days unless it's a children's book between 100 and 250 pages.
20. One book you read because of the cover? Dear Fahrenheit 451 by Annie Spence.


© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Michelle Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear about your tinnitus. My mother had this and I now how annoying it can be. I'm glad you can block it out. Your book choices made an interesting list!