Thursday, September 07, 2017

Muddle & Mo

Muddle & Mo. Nikki Slade Robinson. 2017. HMH. 32 pages. [Source: Review]

First sentence: "Mo?" "Yes, Muddle?" "You're a funny color for a duck!" "Your beak is too hairy." "You should eat worms." "Your wings are on your head."

Premise/plot: Muddle and Mo are best friends. If I had to describe each in just one word, I'd say Muddle was CONFUSED and Mo is PATIENT. Muddle is under the impression that both are ducks. Muddle doesn't know why Mo--being a duck--is such a WEIRD duck. (My favorite line? "Your wings are on your head.") Slowly, it begins to dawn on her that maybe just maybe Mo isn't a duck after all. That Mo is in fact a goat--which would explain so much. But if Mo is a goat, does that mean Muddle is a duck too?!

My thoughts: I thought this one was cute. I know some critics think that "cute" is the worst thing a picture book can be. But I never claimed to be a critic. I happen to really like cute books. This cute book was originally published in New Zealand in 2015. One of my favorite things about it is that all the text--except for "the end"--is dialogue. Another thing that makes this one a bit unique is the way it's illustrated. Mo and Muddle appear on a background of blue.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: