Tuesday, August 22, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand (August)

The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.


Go Down Together. Jeff Guinn. 2008. 468 pages. [Source: Library]

I meant to read this before going to see the musical live....but that didn't quite happen. I started reading it a couple of hours after the show this past Sunday and it is REALLY fascinating. 

The Wretched. Victor Hugo. Translated by Christine Donougher. 1862/2013. 1456 pages. [Source: Bought]

This is actually Les Miserables. I started it late June, and it looks like I'll still be reading it come September. I am over halfway done--closer to 60% actually. But other books keep saying read me.


Castle Richmond. Anthony Trollope. 1860. 500 pages. [Source: Bought]

Continuing my way through Trollope chronologically. This one is set in Ireland.

Seeking Mansfield. Kate Watson. 2017. 300 pages. [Source: Library]

A contemporary YA retelling of Jane Austen's Mansfield Park.

Once and For All. Sarah Dessen. 2017. 358 pages. [Source: Library]

Sarah Dessen's newest YA romance.

ESV Reformation Study Bible. 2015. Edited by R.C. Sproul. Reformation Trust. 2560 pages. [Source: Gift/Bought]

I am committing to read all 66 books of the Bible, all 66 book introductions, and any in-text articles that appear in the books of the Bible.

The Bible also contains these creeds and confessions: "The Apostles' Creed," "The Nicene Creed," "The Chalcedonian Definition of the Faith," "The Heidelberg Catechism," "The Belgic Confession," "The Canons of Dort," "The Westminster Confession of Faith," "The Westminster Larger Catechism," "The Westminster Shorter Catechism," "The 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith."

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to commit to reading ALL of these. I have an e-book that has a lot of these creeds, catechisms, and confessions. That may be easier on the eyes! I will NOT, I repeat NOT be reading the study notes. Not because I don't believe in study notes, but because Sproul is very wordy and there is no conciseness!


Learning to Love the Psalms. W. Robert Godfrey. 2017. Reformation Trust. 318 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I spent a week listening to W. Robert Godfrey's teaching series on Church History. I was so excited to get the chance to review his newest book. And it's on the PSALMS!



© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: