Tuesday, March 22, 2016

What's On Your Nightstand (March)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
Stuffed: An Insider's Look At Who's (Really) Making America Fat And How the Food Industry Can Fix It. Hank Cardello. 2009. 258 pages. [Source: Library]

I'm about halfway through this one. It is interesting. Perhaps not as interesting as The Dorito Effect which I reviewed earlier this month. But interesting all the same. I'm finding it a bit dated actually. Which I think is a good thing. Since some of the "new" and "coming soon" things he was talking about have come to pass. (For example, restaurants making nutrition information available to customers, fast food restaurants offering salads, etc.)

Eat Fat, Get Thin. Mark Hyman. 2016. Little Brown. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

I am next on the hold list. Assuming that the person ahead of me isn't fond of late fees and returns the book on time, I should have this one by the weekend! Not that I'm counting down the days. Okay. Maybe a little. I've seen the author talk about the book on Dr. Oz, and, I've seen glimpses of the PBS special. And I'm looking forward to seeing the big picture and not just excerpt-size bits. This is probably one of my most-anticipated reads of the year.

Churchill: The Power of Words: His Remarkable Life Recounted Through His Writings and Speeches. Winston Churchill. Selected. Edited. Introduced by Martin Gilbert.

That's Not English: Britishisms, Americanisms, and What Our English Says About Us. Erin Moore. 2015. 223 pages. [Source: Library]

I'm not very far into this one. But I hope to make time for it soon. 

Heaven and the Afterlife: The Truth About Tomorrow and What It Means for Today. Erwin Lutzer. 2016. Moody. 480 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Essentially this is an omnibus edition of three of Lutzer's books: One Minute After You Die, How You Can Be Sure You Will Spend Eternity with God, and Your Eternal Rewards. All were originally published in the 1990s, I believe. I've read them all before, but, they're so good they deserve rereading. (Actually, I'm not sure I love, love, love the third book in the trilogy.)

1 Corinthians: The Word of the Cross. Stephen T. Um. 2015. Crossway. 368 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I really have enjoyed Crossway's Preaching the Word commentary series. 1 Corinthians is one of the books I find trouble digesting, so maybe this commentary will help me appreciate it a bit more!


What About Free Will? Reconciling Our Choices with God's Sovereignty by Scott Christensen. 2016. P&R. 336 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I won't lie, this one is scholarly. It requires you to have your thinking cap on, and to take your time reading it. But I'm finding it well-written and interesting.

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Kailana said...

My pile is scary. I am all over the place this month with my reading. lol