Saturday, August 08, 2015

Oh No, George!

Board Book: Oh No, George! Chris Haughton. 2015. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Harry is going out. "Will you be good, George?" asks Harry. "Yes," says George. "I'll be very good." I hope I'll be good, George thinks.

Premise/plot: With a name like, "Oh NO, George!" little ones might guess--and guess correctly--that George won't be good after all. George faces a handful of temptations in this book: he's tempted to eat cake, tempted to "play" with a cat, tempted to dig in dirt, tempted to dig in the trash. Will George give into temptation every time? Maybe. Maybe not. You'll have to read and see for yourself. But there is a refrain: OH NO, GEORGE!

My thoughts: I liked this one. It was fun. It was cute. It was simple yet clever. I loved the refrain, and, how it can get readers involved with the story--predicting what George will do--and joining in the refrain at various points in the story. The narration is quite charming as well. George is really given a great voice in this story.

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: