Wednesday, June 17, 2015

I Know A Story (1938)

I Know A Story. Miriam Blanton Huber, Frank Seely Salisbury, and Mabel O'Donnell. Illustrated by Florence and Margaret Hoopes. Wonder-Story. 1938/1953, 1962. Harper & Row. 190 pages. [Source: Bought]

This is a decades-old reading textbook featuring folk tales! It includes these stories:
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • The Three Bears
  • Billy Goats Gruff
  • Mr. Vinegar
  • The Straw Ox
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • The Boy Who Went to the North Wind
It also includes these poems:
  • The Rabbit
  • Mice
  • In The Fashion
  • Chipmunk
  • Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Indian Children
  • The Woodpecker
  • The Animal Store
  • A Visit From St. Nicholas
I was familiar with many of these stories, you probably are as well. But a few were new-to-me. For example, I'd never heard "Mr. Vinegar," "The Straw Ox," or "The Boy Who Went to the North Wind."
"Mr. Vinegar" was a strange story of a foolish man. The ending made no sense either! But despite its strangeness, there were some elements I found myself liking.

Overall, I liked the stories much better than the poetry. My favorite story was probably "The Boy Who Went to the North Wind."


© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: