Tuesday, November 12, 2013

The Nonesuch (1962)

The Nonesuch. Georgette Heyer. 1962/2009. Sourcebooks. 352 pages. [Source: Library]

Georgette Heyer wrote so many wonderful romance novels. I adore her historical romances. The Nonesuch is not a novel with a lot of wow power. It isn't her wittiest. It isn't the one with the most mishaps or the most misunderstandings. It isn't her feistiest. It isn't the most dramatic. It isn't the most romantic. And yet I enjoyed it all the same. I enjoyed spending time with the characters even though they may not be the most memorable of Heyer's creations.

Sir Waldo is the hero. He's recently inherited an estate. He travels to the community to learn more about his new property. While there he meets all his neighbors. There are many young women and men in the community--varying social classes. And Waldo's arrival especially since it brings about two more visitors--eligible bachelors all--causes quite a stir! Readers get a variety of views. Readers get a chance to know a few characters, a few courting couples.

I liked this one. I did not love it. I was never bored, but, I was never WOWED either.

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never read anything by Georgette Heyer, I'll have to add one of her's to my reading list!

Cathy x
http://whiskshooksandbooks.blogspot.com/