Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten

Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (And Other Thankful Stuff). Barbara Park. 2012. Random House. 144 pages.

I haven't read every Junie B. Jones book, but I've read some of her books from when she was in kindergarten and first grade. This adventure is a first-grade adventure, and it is set during the week of Thanksgiving. Her first grade class is participating in a school contest, each student can contribute up to two things they are thankful for. The best "thankful list" wins a pumpkin pie--no matter if the class likes pumpkin pie or not. Junie's class is very, very honest. Their thankful list reflects that! On the list are things like exploding cans of biscuits, toilet paper, whipped cream, dog treats, crayons, and remote controls. 

I loved it because it was funny. I loved hearing Junie B. and her classmates talk.

Favorite quote: "I am thankful for the kind of cranberry jelly that comes in a can...only even when you take it out of the can, it still keeps looking exactly like the can!" I looked at my teacher. "That stuff is like magic," I said. "I do not know how farmers grow it in that shape." Mr. Scary looked at me a real long time. I looked back at my list. (11)


Read Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten
  • If you're a fan of Junie B. Jones
  • If you enjoy funny children's book series
  • If you are looking for a fun Thanksgiving read

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: