Saturday, February 04, 2012

Cinder (YA)

Cinder. (The Lunar Chronicles #1). Marissa Meyer. 2012. Feiwel & Friends. 400 pages.

The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted, the engraved cross marks worn to a mangled circle. 

Cinder is an outcast. Not just a hardworking orphan with a horribly mean stepmother who 'owns' her, but a teen girl whose very humanity is in question. After her parents' death, Cinder was adopted, but the accident that killed her parents left her adoptive father little choice but to 'make' her a cyborg. Since he died too, Cinder has found little comfort in human companionship. No, she's a cyborg and a mechanic. She may not be popular; she may not be planning to attend the ball. But she's a clever, resourceful girl who doesn't really mind not going to the Prince's ball. Especially since there are more important things on her mind. Like her stepsister, Peony, who's caught the deadly plague, letumosis. Like repairing the prince's android. Like trying to help Kai, the prince, outwit the evil Queen Levana so that the Lunars don't invade Earth.

Cinder is very, very futuristic. If you don't like science fiction, then this one probably isn't for you. If aliens, cyborgs, and deadly plagues that threaten humanity's very existence, don't thrill you, then Cinder won't offer you much. But if you're looking for more than just a romantic, familiar retelling of Cinderella, then I think Cinder will surprise you. It is a very original retelling!

Read Cinder
  • If you like, no, love, science fiction
  • If you like futuristic stories
  • If you like Cinderella retellings, but if you don't at least like science fiction, it may not be enough for you

Listen to Chapter One,



© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

thereadingpanda said...

Sounds like a very creative take on Cinderella!

Lovely Lady said...

I am so happy I found your blog! I was just debating whether or not I should buy Cinder when I saw it in the YA section at the grocery store. I absoloutely love science fiction!! I also, love original re-tellings of classic fairy tales. This is like heaven to me-having both of my favorite genres combined in one great book just makes my day! From the way you described it I know I will love reading Cinder! Thanks so much! oh yes, and i also wanted to ask..is their a set up for a sequel?

Shirley said...

I would never call myself a science fiction fan but I did love Cinder! It's a wonderful futuristic take on the fairy tale of Cinderella which continues when the second book releases next January. You can read my review of Cinder on My Bookshelf.

Kailana said...

I am looking forward to reading this very soon!