Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Alice I Have Been

Alice I Have Been. Melanie Benjamin. 2009. Random House. 352 pages.

But oh my dear, I am tired of being Alice in Wonderland. Does it sound ungrateful? Only I do get tired.

I enjoyed this one. I did. I am not sure that I LOVED it as much as I loved The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb, that book made me want to read more Melanie Benjamin.

Alice I Have Been is the fictional memoir of Alice Liddell, the little girl who "inspired" Alice in Wonderland. It is told through the eyes of a much older and much wiser Alice. An Alice who is perhaps just coming to terms with her past. An Alice who is asking questions and finding answers.

Explored in this one, of course, is her relationship--her family's relationship--with Charles Dodgson. This relationship is seen through both perspectives--as a little girl who idolizes a man that makes a big ado about spending play time with these children, and as an adult who questions what her feelings for the man really were after play time was over.

But the novel goes beyond those childhood years. Readers see her as a married woman with children of her own.

I thought the novel was well written. I found it fascinating. It was never boring!!! I think Melanie Benjamin is a great writer, a great storyteller. And I've really enjoyed both of her books.

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Andi said...

This one is hovering near the top of my TBR and if I ever manage to bust my current slump, I will read it! :)

Denise said...

This sounds like something I could really get into:) thank you.First time I have made a comment but I do read your reviews.I'm goggling the author.I want to check out the first one you spoke about.Denise

Denise said...

Thanks again,I just read her site.This starts my favorite season to read,Fall and Winter.For some strange reason I find it hard to stay with a book in the Spring and Summer.A couple of my top Authors have been Roseamunde Pilcher,Jean Auell.Even though my daughters keep recommending Mauve Binchy,She doesn't compare to Pilcher.I haven't found a later fave in a long time :( I keep searching though-Denise

Kailana said...

I really need to read this. I am having a hard time getting into books lately, so maybe now is the time for it!

Denise said...

O.k., one more comment from the o'l girl who is a silent browser.I also love the Pre Raphalite Brotherhood novels but my mind is getting so old I'm forgetting all the titles and authors. When I was young I never wrote my books down so now all the authors and titles are lost from memory,but whats interesting is all the thousands of stories are still there as clear as ever.Grandma Denise-TeHe

thereadingpanda said...

The story line of this book really captures my curiosity. I will have to add it to my TBR.

DesLily said...

this one I read and found it very enjoyable too ! Some authors are just so good that they make fiction sound real! I guess it helps that they do their homework and use as much reality as they dare to.