Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oliver Twist

Oliver Twist. Charles Dickens.  1838. 425 pages.

Among other public buildings in a certain town, which for many reasons it will be prudent to refrain from mentioning, and to which I will assign no fictional name, there is one anciently common to most towns, great or small: to wit, a workhouse; and in this workhouse was born; on a day and date which I need not trouble myself to repeat, inasmuch as it can be of no possible consequence to the reader, in this stage of the business at all events; the item of mortality whose name is prefixed to the head of this chapter.

While Oliver Twist isn't my new favorite Dickens's novel, I must say that I really really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the characters; I enjoyed the storytelling. The recent movie adaptation may have been slightly more compelling, but for me there was something just right about the book.

Oliver Twist is the hero of this one. This young orphan boy has a few misadventures before finding his happily ever after. But those misadventures make for quite a read, I must admit! He meets a lot of interesting characters, some more villainous than others. There are quite a few sympathetic characters, however.

I found Oliver Twist a great read, a surprisingly quick one! Perhaps because I just did not want to put it down! Generally, Dickens is one of those authors whose books I savor over two to three weeks, but that wasn't the case with Oliver Twist!


© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

HYPATİA said...

Nice writing Becky :)
I read this book, the short version when I was child.Now, I want to read original version :) thanks see you :)

Kailana said...

I read this a few years ago and enjoyed it. I am going to have to reread it one of these days!

BRENT said...

I read it for the first time earlier this year and loved it. Like you it isn't my favorite Dickens but it is still a fine novel. And it is a quick read isn't it? I think it took me three nights or so, just couldn't put it down!

Annette said...

I've not read Oliver Twist yet! But, my favorite book is David Copperfield. I just adore that book! Have you read it?