Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #50

Happy Sunday! You may remember that I reviewed Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker last month. It was a novel that I just LOVED. Happy, happy news, I discovered that it is currently a bargain book at Amazon. So for about $6 you can discover for yourself just how wonderful this one is!!!

I only have one book to go on my 2010 TBR Challenge. Which one of these should I try to read?
  • Everwild by Neal Shusterman (432 pages)
  • Ice by Sarah Beth Durst (308 pages)
  • The Doom Machine by Mark Teague (320 pages)
  • Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange (293 pages)
  • The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James (352 pages)
  • Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan (448 pages)
  • Dreamdark: Blackbringer by Laini Taylor (368 pages)
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (336 pages)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (560 pages)
  • Brief Gaudy Hour: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Margaret Campbell Barnes (382 pages)

You might have noticed that I didn't include New York by Edward Rutherfurd! And I've already decided that Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden will be on next year's list.

What I've Reviewed:

Lady Anna. Anthony Trollope. 1874/2009. Oxford World's Classics. 560 pages.
Chasing Brooklyn. Lisa Schroeder. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 412 pages.
The Butler Gets A Break. A Bellweather Tale. Kristin Clark. Venuti. 2010. Egmont USA. 240 pages.
It's Christmas, David! David Shannon. 2010. Scholastic. 32 pages.
Llama Llama Holiday Drama. Anna Dewdney. 2010. Penguin. 40 pages.
The Christmas Magic. Lauren Thompson. Illustrated by Jon J. Muth. 2009. Scholastic. 40 pages.
 A Christmas Carol. Charles Dickens. 1843. 96 pages.
The Crossing: How George Washington Saved The American Revolution. Jim Murphy. 2010. Scholastic. 96 pages.

Coming Soon:


The Boy From Ilysies. Pearl North. 2010. Tom Doherty Associates. 320 pages. 



Jane. April Lindner. 2010. Little Brown. 373 pages.


The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag. (Flavia de Luce #2). Alan Bradley. 2010. Random House. 364 pages.


Pride and Prescience: Or A Truth Universally Acknowledged. A Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mystery. 2004. Tor. 288 pages. 

Currently Reading:


Still Life With Elephant. Judy Reene Singer. 2007. Crown Publishing. 304 pages.


Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes By His Fool, Will Somers. Margaret George. 1998. St. Martin's Press. 944 pages.


North by Northanger, Or, The Shades of Pemberley. Mr. and Mrs. Darcy Mysteries #3. Carrie Bebris. 2006. Tor. 320 pages. 

What I'm Hoping To Begin Properly:


The Red Queen. Philippa Gregory. 2010. Simon & Schuster. 382 pages.


The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James. 2007. HarperCollins. 352 pages.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

8 comments:

Sandra said...

I recommend The Secret Life of Bees, I really enjoyed that story.

Laura H said...

I really like The Secret Life of Bees too. I also like Everwild.

RivkaBelle said...

ICE!!! Most definitely ICE!!!

It. Is. Amazing.

Jenny said...

I'll add to the chorus by agreeing that you should read The Secret Life of Bees. I enjoyed that book.

Anonymous said...

ice was fabulous and really different!!
dianam167@sbcglobal.net

Annette said...

I have the book on Henry VIII but have not tackled that gigantic read yet. I also have in my next stack of books to read The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen!

Becky said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I finished The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen. I'll be reviewing that one soon. But I'm definitely considering reading some of the other titles on this list.

Unknown said...

I loved King Henry the 8th, what an amazing story. It's long, but worth the journey.