Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #3

Happy Sunday everyone! Are you looking forward to tomorrow's announcements about the awards? I know I am! If you do end up writing about the awards, please consider participating in this week's weekly geek. Even if you *usually* aren't a weekly geek. Do you think this year's choice will be as surprising as last year when Neil Gaiman won for The Graveyard Book? You can share your predictions (for the Newbery or the Printz) in the comments, if you like.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm curious to see how many schedule their reading. I don't mean schedule time into their busy lives for sitting down with a good book. I mean scheduling in books to read at a certain time, by a specific date. If you do, how does this work for you? Are you having much luck with it? What do you do if it's "time" to read a book, but you're just not in the mood?

I've got a VERY BUSY February ahead. And I'm looking for tips on how to fit it all in AND how to still be able to read whatever I want to read in-the-moment.

What I've Reviewed This Week:

Lawn to Lawn. Dan Yaccarino. 2010. [January 2010] Random House. 40 pages.
The Grasshopper Hopped. Elizabeth Alexander. Illustrated by Joung Un Kim. 2010 [January 2010]. Random House. 14 pages.
Nate The Great and the Hungry Book Club. By Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Mitchell Sharmat. Illustrated by Jody Wheeler. 2009. (November 2009) Random House. 64 pages.
A Birthday for Bear. By Bonny Becker. Illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton. 2009. (September 2009). Candlewick Press. 56 pages.
Calendar Mysteries #1: January Joker. By Ron Roy. Illustrations by John Steven Gurney. 2009. [December 2009] Random House. 96 pages.
The Timekeeper's Moon by Joni Sensel. 2010 (March 2010). Bloomsbury USA. 352 pages.
Saving Juliet. By Suzanne Selfors. 2008. Walker Books. 272 pages. [YA Romance/YA Fantasy]
Prada & Prejudice. by Mandy Hubbard. 2009. Penguin. 288 pages. [YA Romance/YA Fantasy]
The Blackstone Key. By Rose Melikan. 2008. Simon & Schuster. 435 pages. [Historical/Mystery]
Juliet, Naked. Nick Hornby. 2009. [September 2009] Penguin. 352 pages [Romance, Contemporary]
The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck. 1942. Penguin. 144 pages.
A Lady Like Sarah. By Margaret Brownley. (A Rocky Creek Romance). 2009. Thomas Nelson. 320 pages. [Historical Fiction/Romance]
Tarra & Bella. The Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends. By Carol Buckley. 2009. (September 2009). Penguin. 32 pages.
Julius Caesar (Manga Shakespeare) William Shakespeare. Mustashrik (Illustrator). Richard Appignanesi (Text Adaptation). 2008. Abrams. 208 pages. (YA)
Calamity Jack. By Shannon and Dean Hale. Illustrated by Nathan Hale. 2010. Bloomsbury USA. 144 pages.

What I'm Currently Reading:



The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. 1860/2005. Simon & Schuster. 784 pages. (Classic)


Under the Dome. By Stephen King. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 1088 pages. (Adult Horror/Science Fiction)


A Moment Between by Nicole Baart. 2009. Tyndale. 384 pages.

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:



The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer. 1921/2009. Sourcebooks. 355 pages.


Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of The Darcys and The Bingleys. Marsha Altman. 2010. (February 2010) Sourcebooks. 432 pages.



The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again. J.R.R. Tolkien. 1938. 256 pages


Manga Shakespeare: Much Ado About Nothing. William Shakespeare. 2009. Ill. Emma Vieceli. Adapted by Richard Appignanesi. 208 pages.



Into The Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern. 2009. Feiwel & Friends. 256 pages.

Movies Reviewed This Week:

Mamma Mia (2008)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
Anna and the King of Siam (1946)

Challenges Joined This Week:

2010 New To Me Christian Authors

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Ash said...

I actually reviewed The Moment Between at my blog. Nicole Baart is from Iowa like myself. It took me a little while to get into but I liked it!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

How do I schedule my reading? I read whatever I most feel like reading. I have a firm rule for myself that I will only complete the books I really, really enjoy.

Alaine said...

WOW that is a long list! Hope you get heaps of reading time. I do some scheduling and some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. I find I have the most success when if I alternate between a scheduled book and reading whatever I'm in the mood for. That's what works best for me.

Eva said...

I schedule my reading to a certain extent, because 95% of my reading comes from the library, so whichever books I bring home are the ones I'll end up reading. But I make sure I have enough flexibility to not read a book if I'm not feeling it! The only exception is if I'm reading a book with others. :)

Anonymous said...

If I schedule my books? I don't need to answer that one, do I? :)

And it works surprisingly well, actually - if I'm stuck, so to speak, with a book, I put my best effort into liking it, so if I don't it's very rarely a "mood" thing, but rather a matter of me and the book not really getting along - and it's unlikely we ever would have. (Like everything, there are exceptions to this, no doubt.) Very rarely have I given up on a book once begun - possibly a handful of occasions in nearly thirty years.

Didn't you make a "plotting the rest of the year"-post at the end of last year? I had meant to ask you, but forgot - didn't it work out well? I'd hazard a guess that if you did something similar and knew at what date you should have begun/finished a book, that would give you leeway to read a lot of the more spontaneous stuff. (Sorry about this long comment!) L.

Alyssa F said...

ooh, Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite Manga Shakespeare so far. Interested to see what you think of it...