Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Classics Bookclub (Goals)


5 Minutes for Books is changing the way they do their Classics Book Club. (Something that I *meant* to do most of last year but mostly forgot about. I love reading classics, the idea of reading certain classics. This year, you get to choose the books you read, and the round-ups (wrap-ups) are quarterly. She is encouraging would-be-participants to write up a few goals for the year.

Which classic authors do I want to read this year (2010)?

John Steinbeck. I really loved discovering him in 2009. I loved Tortilla Flat. Just loved it. And I've not been disappointed by a Steinbeck yet. Though Of Mice and Men made me very sad I can't deny that it has a certain power to it. I need to read East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath. Then if there is time I've got Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday.

Charlotte and Anne Bronte. I don't know which books I'll be reading just yet. But I know I want to read some Bronte. (And I am so not rereading Wuthering Heights. A book I reread last year.)

Anthony Trollope. I love, love, love Trollope. Yes, he's a new discovery. But I consider him a favorite. There are so many books I have yet to discover!

Charles Dickens. I wouldn't say I hate him. That wouldn't be fair (or polite). But I would say I don't have a good first or second impression of Dickens. Great Expectations is to blame for this. Assigned in high school and college and yet I still can't remember much of this one. I've got it blocked from my memory apparently. I won't be tackling Great Expectations. (Though the phrase third time's the charm comes to mind.) But I will try my very very best to read something Charles Dickens in 2010.

There are so many others that I *want* to read at some point. It's just hard to say that 2010 is the year I'll get to them.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Someone else wrote about Trollope as well.

I'm so interested in that time period that I might give the Grapes of Wrath a try as well, but Steinbeck has always seemed so dry to me. But that's back from high school, and that's why reading classics now is so great!!

Thanks for joining in! And yes, I know that many people "meant" to join in, and I'm hoping that this will help people to follow through.

Jessica (The Bluestocking Society) said...

I like the idea of setting goals like this. I, too, would like to read a little more Steinbeck this year. Cannery Row, East of Eden, and Grapes of Wrath are my favorites, so I'm looking forward to reading your reviews on them. Happy Classicing!

morninglight mama said...

I actually have fond memories of Great Expectations from high school, but they're still pretty vague. My (then 8 year old) son and I read A Christmas Carol last December, and that was fun to do together.

Looks like you have some great goals set here- good luck!!

Robin M said...

I totally forgot about Grapes of Wrath, will keep that one in reserve. I read Great Expectations recently for literature class and enjoyed. Don't think I would have back in high school. Now I understand it more. Look forward to hearing about the books you read. Happy Reading!

Laura said...

I have Anthony Trollope on my list to discover in 2010. Your review of his book has me ready to jump in.

I can't get excited about Steinbeck, sort of like you and Dickens I suspect. I would say reading A Christmas Carol and A Tale of Two Cities is a good start for Dickens. I'll have to think about adding Steinbeck to my list.

I read Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, and Agnes Grey last year. I agree I'm happy to not read Wuthering Heights again anytime soon.

Carrie said...

Well, I'm with you on Dickens. =)

Glad you are "in" with us this year! I look forward to seeing what you read and talk about this coming year!

bookwormans said...

For the Brontes, may I suggest either "Villette" by Charlotte or "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne.

For Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" or "A Tale of Two Cities" are probably good places to start, but my personal favorite is "Bleak House". my next Dickens book will be "David Copperfield"

Amanda said...

The Grapes of Wrath is amazing, my favorite book of 2008.

Katy said...

Ah yes, I was not much of a fan of The Grapes of Wrath in high school, but when I read it as an adult I appreciated it a lot more (and understood it better).

I was pleasantly surprised by my first Dickens at the end of December (A Christmas Carol) and have a couple of his books on my radar for 2010.