Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Me? Read That?!


So, a year or two ago my mom dared me to do something awful...to read Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. What kind of daughter would be if I didn't make it conditional? Yes, I'd read Tarzan of the Apes. But only if she'd read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

I have to admit that no one was more surprised than my mom when a few weeks ago I brought home...you guessed it...Tarzan of the Apes AND Frankenstein. Part of me was curious. Would she live up to her end of the bargain? Would she really, truly read Frankenstein?

So I read Tarzan of the Apes last week. And I handed off Frankenstein to mom. I finished last week. But she's still working on Frankenstein. (Granted, she doesn't spend as many hours of the day reading as I do. But then again, most people don't.)

I made her asked her nicely to write up some interview questions for me about Tarzan. So expect both an interview and a review from me soon.

I plan on writing up some questions on Frankenstein for her to answer as well. I really, really hope she'll take some time to write up her answers so that I can share them with you.

Now that we're actually following through on our threats challenges to one another, we're both really excited to do this again. We've already picked books for our next round! Though I don't know *when* that will happen. I can only hope it won't be another year.

Round One: Tarzan of the Apes vs. Frankenstein

Tarzan Review
Tarzan Interview
Frankenstein Interview

Round Two: Riders of the Purple Sage (by Zane Grey) vs. Tortilla Flat (by John Steinbeck)

Riders of the Purple Sage Review
Riders of the Purple Sage Interview
Tortilla Flat Interview

Round Three: At Home In Mitford (by Jan Karon) vs. Life As We Knew It (by Susan Beth Pfeffer)

At Home In Mitford Review
At Home In Mitford Interview
Life As We Knew It Interview

If you want to make your own ha ha picture, you can find that form here.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Lezlie said...

How fun!! I can't wait to see the results!

Lezlie

Ceri said...

You guys are hilarious ... but that's a really great way to get you both reading things you wouldn't usually. :-D

DesLily said...

LOL blackmailing mom eh?! lol got to love it!!!!

Debi said...

What a totally awesome thing for you guys to do!!!! Seriously, I think I'm going to have to steal this idea and do it with Annie. And maybe Rich (the hubby), too!

Becky said...

Thanks for commenting everyone! I was curious to see if anyone would be interested in this little family adventure :)

And Deslily, I'm lucky my mom is such a good sport!

Debi, feel free to borrow the idea :) I'd love to see your family reading adventures :)