Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Suddenly Supernatural: Scaredy Kat (MG)


Kimmel, Elizabeth Cody. 2009. Suddenly Supernatural: Scaredy Kat. Little, Brown. 250 pages.

The truth is, I find it very embarrassing when my mother talks to plants. There, I've said it.

This is the second in the Suddenly Supernatural series. The first was Suddenly Supernatural: School Spirit. What I like about this series--and I've read the first three so far--is the writing itself. It's engaging, light, and funny. Kat, our heroine, is a thirteen year old who has just come into her powers, her ghost-whispering spiritualist powers. It's spring break. Her best friend, Jac, is away and she's finding herself a bit bored. Sounds fairly typical right? Well, that's before she notices that the abandoned house next door is haunted by several spirits including that of a little boy named Tank. Can she use her new-found powers to help the spirits next door find some peace? It might be a little easier if she kept her mom in the loop, but that's something she's not going to do. She wants to do everything all on her own. Mostly. But is she strong enough to tackle this one all on her own? Or could she use a little help from friends new and old?

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I loved the first chapter of this when I read it for my first chapter challenge.

Suko said...

Might be a good time for my daughter--and/or me--to read something "engaging, light,and funny". Thanks for posting this review.

Lori said...

My daughter is reading the first book in this series. She's not a big reader so I was thrilled when I saw her pick this book from the library. Glad to hear that you think it's a good one!

Anonymous said...

I love the cover for this. I am sure I have read a few good reviews of this around the blogging world.