Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (MG)


Krosoczka, Jarrett J. 2009. Lunch Lady And the Cyborg Substitute. Random House.

Jarrett J. Krosoczka, author of Punk Farm and Punk Farm On Tour--to name just a few of his books, has created a new graphic novel series called Lunch Lady. (Serving up justice and lunch). It's a fun premise, the "breakfast bunch" (Hector, Dee, and Terrence) become curious about their favorite lunch room lady. They decide to follow her one day to see what kind of life she leads outside the cafeteria. Meanwhile, the readers get a glimpse of two lunch room ladies in action as they suspect the new substitute teacher, Mr. Pasteur, to being up to no good. (The fact that he refuses fresh baked cookies only firms up their suspicions. In fact, he isn't eating anything.) They decide to follow him home--not knowing that they themselves are being followed--and there the action starts.

I'm not all that familiar with graphic novels in general. I just haven't read that many, so I feel unequipped to judge their merit, but I liked this one. It had a fun premise.



© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Becky, these books are hilarious. I had the pleasure of hearing Jarrett speak at a conference recently. He's so funny. I know kids are going to love the Lunch Lady series. I'm glad you reviewed it!