Saturday, January 17, 2009

Weekly Geek 2009-02 Why Be A Geek

For our second Weekly Geeks of the new year and our second post without our founder Dewey, Joanne of The Book Zombie has these questions:
  • For those who have been with the group, either from the start or joined within recent months, what does being a member mean to you? What do you enjoy about the group? What are some of your more memorable Weekly Geeks that we might could do again? What could be improved as we continue the legacy that Dewey gave us?
  • For those just joining us, why did you sign up for Weekly Geeks? What would you like to see here?
I joined in from the very first week. I joined initially because Dewey was my friend and I wanted to support her latest endeavor. Because of Dewey, there are so many connections and friendships made that might not have been formed otherwise.

I also thought it was a fun idea. I liked the idea that all bloggers could and would be welcome to join together on a weekly basis by participating in this meme.

So the community aspect of it is huge. I liked that it was a welcoming atmosphere. I loved how connected I felt as a result of participating.

While I probably knew a third of the bloggers going into it, I was pleasantly introduced to so many other blogs which I discovered and began following. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that there was one feed which could connect me with other weekly geeks. I thought that was awesome.

I also like that the questions/activities can be challenging. I like having giving my brain a workout! But at the same time, they're just as fun as they are challenging. After all, weekly geeks isn't drudgery--it's not a chore, something you have to do, it's fun.

As to favorite topics, I wouldn't mind repeating past weekly geeks. I liked almost all of them. (Though I admit the scavenger hunt was too challenging for this brain to handle.)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

9 comments:

pussreboots said...

The community aspect of Weekly Geeks is a big part of the meme's charm. I don't get the same sense of togetherness with the other memes I've participated in.

Becky said...

I agree with you. I'm not sure why the others seem less cohesive--maybe Dewey was just *that* special.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I agree even if there was the feeling of a chore we always had the flexibility of participating or not.

Kerrie said...

The Google Reader feed doesn't work for me Becky so I'm trying to work out another solution. I think I may set up a Google Alert to come to me by email if I can't work out anything else.

I love meeting up with the same core of people on a weekly basis. It really is a community rather than a meme.

Bernadette said...

I agree Becky it feels like more of a community than with something like Booking through Thursday which I've also participated in but which feels a bit more like "drive by linking" than actually joining a community.

The Bookworm said...

the way WG brought bloggers together was always great :)
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Alessandra said...

I think I found your blog through a WG activity, Becky.

I comment very rarely because I have problems finding something to say when your posts are so good, but I always read the posts on your main blog!

Louise said...

Oh, I have to look for that scavenger hunt WG. I love scavenger hunts...I know I didn't participate because I only joined WG in October last year. And glad I did. I love how it has made me get into contact with so many great bloggers out there. Thanks to all!

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ Bernadette...I think we are tighter knit than BTT. Although I have fun with BTT, too. But Weekly Geeks is usually more involved...in a good way!