Friday, November 30, 2007

Poetry Friday: Cinderella



Today I've got a song, a video, and a review--all Cinderella related. Personally, I'm more of a Rodgers & Hammerstein kinda girl than Disney. I'd much rather listen to "In My Own Little Corner" and "Ten Minutes Ago" and "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful" and so many other great songs...

I'm as mild and as meek as a mouse
When I hear a command I obey
But I know of a spot in my house
Where no one can stand in my way
In my own little corner in my own little chair
I can be whatever I want to be
On the wing of my fancy I can fly anywhere
and the world will open it's arms to me
I'm a young egyptian princess or a milkmaid
I'm the greatest prima donna in Milan
I'm a heiress who has always had her silk made
by her own flock of silkworms in Japan
I'm a girl men go mad for love's a game I can play
with a cool and confident kind of air
Just as long as I stay in my own little corner
All alone, in my own, little chair.

I can be whatever I want to be....
I'm a thief in Calcutta
I'm a queen in Peru
I'm a mermaid dancing upon the sea
I'm a huntress on an African Safari
It's a dangerous type of sport and yet it's fun
In the night I sally forth to seek my quarry
and I find I forgot to bring my gun!
I am lost in the jungle all alone and unarmed
when I meet a lioness in her lair!
Then I'm glad to be back in my own little corner
All alone, in my own, little chair.


Give me that over singing mice and chirping birds any day. However, I'm not immune to Disney completely.



Especially when I'm inspired by a new book. I love, love, love the new version of Cinderella that was released this past August. Walt Disney's Cinderella, retold by Cynthia Rylant. Pictures by Mary Blair. This book is incredible. It had me at hello.

This is a story about darkness and light, about sorrow and joy, about something lost and something found. This is a story about Love.

Tears have a wondrous magic about them. They often change everything. And for Cinderella, on this night, tears created a miracle.

Who can say by what mystery two people find each other in this great wide world?
How does a young man find his maiden? His heart leads him. He finds her in a room. He asks her to dance. And when he touches her, he knows.


A young man knows what he must do when the girl he loves disappears. He must find her.
He went to every home in the land, searching for the foot meant for the shoe and the heart meant for a prince.


I recommend this book to everyone regardless of age. I think it is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful book.

Mary Blair was one of Disney's conceptual designers. These illustrations come from those early concept designs before the animators got to work bringing this classic tale of love to life.




Roundup is at Two Writing Teachers.

No comments: