Saturday, October 20, 2007

What a great Hour 10 Challenge!

Dewey is having another hour-challenge. And I really, really, really want to win. The prize is potentially a "Future Book" that Dewey reviews. The catch? It can't be a library book she's reviewing. Since she reviews such great books, I'd love to win this one.

Anyway, the challenge is to write a letter--a blog post--to the author of the book we're currently reading. I was reading some picture books in preparation for posting them to my Young Readers site--as well as for this one. So I am going to write two mini-letters and hope that that still qualifies.

Dear Natasha Wing:

I wanted you to know that I absolutely LOVE your picture book GO TO BED, MONSTER. Maybe an adult should be embarrassed to admit their 'again, again' moments with picture books. But I'm not. I wanted to read this one again and again, and again, and again. I could probably read it forever and never tire of it! Lucy is such a great little heroine. I love her imagination. And the monster, he is priceless. This book for me represents pure joy and happiness. This book radiates with smiles and giggles. And while I know that as an author you might not have had a lot of say in who the illustrator was...I just have to say that the illustrations are perfect. They are just right for your text!!! Everything is just so right about this book.

Becky

Dear Lisa Wheeler:

Jazz Baby makes me happy. I want you to know that. I am trying to think of the perfect way to phrase this. Some texts sing. Some texts are just ordinary, average, plain. But yours is one that sings. I just love the rhythm. Reading it is just so much fun. It really begs to be read aloud. Again and again and again. This book reminds me of Al Perkins' Hands Hands Fingers Thumb. Which I'll just tell you right now is in my top five picture books that I love, love, loved growing up. This book, your book, just works so well. I love it! It is one of my favorite picture books of the year. And I just wanted you to know how much your book does mean to me!

Becky

5 comments:

Dewey said...

Aw! Your letters are so sweet. I recently posted a review that was lukewarm, and got a comment and an email from the author that made me feel like I had broken his heart. So I love the idea that someone might send their letters and put a smile on a writer's face. :)

Bybee said...

Those are letters that would make any author's day! Great job! I'm off now to read what other stuff you've read/done during the readathon!

Eva said...

I liked this challenge as well!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Neat letters! I'd LOVE to get letters like that. Hopefully one day soon.

Keep on reading; I just stopped by to cheer you on.

Nyssaneala said...

Those are great letters! Good luck for this hour's drawing!

Cheerleader Alisia