Tuesday, August 28, 2007

One Day Early, But...I just couldn't wait!


I am hosting a challenge. Yes, it's true. This challenge-addict has decided to give challenge-hosting a try! I've been thinking and thinking about this for quite a while. But inspiration finally did strike. My challenge is the Cardathon Challenge. (Though you can call it the Orson Scott Card challenge or the OSC challenge. But if you mention it on your blog, please mention that it is hosted by Becky of Becky's Book Reviews and give me a link!) It will be a challenge with its own group blog. I already set it up and have a few participants.

http://cardathon.blogspot.com/

What books are eligible? To qualify for the Cardathon Challenge a book needs to meet one of the following criteria:

1) a book written by Orson Scott Card
2) a book edited/compiled by Orson Scott Card
3) a book with an introduction by Orson Scott Card
4) a book reviewed by Orson Scott Card on his official website.

The timeframe? Ongoing. Read as many or as few books as you'd like. Participate for three months, six months, a year, or indefinitely!

What I'd love to stress is that you do NOT have to be an Orson Scott Card fan to join. No prior experience with Card or science fiction is required. It is a challenge for everyone. And with the fourth criteria being 'a book reviewed by Card' that leaves room for A LOT of books to fit in the challenge. Adult titles. Young adult titles. Children titles. All types of books--nonfiction, fiction, fantasy, mystery, horror, thriller, realistic, historical, classics, etc. There really is something for everyone here. So you really shouldn't *worry* that there won't be anything here for your particular tastes. [He even has adapted three of Shakespeare's plays, so the theatre types can join in too!]

I invite you to read all the rules--or guidelines--at the Cardathon site. And leave a comment, here or there, if you want to join in the fun.

Since this blog has an emphasis on young adult literature, I thought I'd highlight some of the possibilities that would work for this challenge:

All the Harry Potter books
Holes by Louis Sachar
Everlost by Neal Shusterman
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Mira, Mirror by Mette Ivie Harrison
Princess and the Hound by Mette Ivie Harrison
The Thief; Queen of Attolia; King of Attolia by Megan Whelan Turner
Here There Be Dragons by James A. Owen
Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry
Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
All of David Lubar's books
Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
The dangerous book for boys, Iggulden

and many, many more. If memory serves me...Shannon Hale's books would be eligible too.

My challenge would also work well in combination with these challenges:

2008 Themed REading Challenge

Crazy Cozy Murder's Series Challenge

The Reading the Author challenge hosted by Incurable Logophilia.

Joy's First In A Series Challenge

Some of these challenges begin in the fall. Others begin in January or so.

6 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

I *just* read Ender's Game this week, my first Card, on you rec, at Something About Me. And you have certainly provided a large sampling of books to pick from. How come he reviews so many books?
Someone at lj recommended Ender's Shadow, Bean's account of the events of Ender's Game. Sounds so cool.
This sounds like a great challenge and I'll probably sign up later. You sound like you are having a lot of fun with this already!

Becky said...

Raidergirl3, I do hope you'll join. But no pressure. You've got time to think it over! It doesn't *officially* start until January. Can you tell I'm the kind of girl that liked to get birthday presents ahead of time??? Anyway, Card has a weekly column--it first appears in print in his local power, and then he later posts it on his site--where he reviews everything. He reviews movies, books, cds, dvds, restaurants, plays he sees, stores,etc. He also reviews tv shows.

Kailana said...

ah, so you are the person hosting this challenge that I am already seeing around the blogosphere. It is a very cool idea. :) I don't know if I will join up because I don't really do a lot of challenges, but a lot can change between now and January!

Becky said...

Even if you don't end up joining up, you can help spread the word if you know anyone who would be interested :) And I would love to see you change your mind. But no pressure. This is the stress-free challenge, no deadlines, no guilt, and the power to change your mind whenever you want when it comes to lists!

Stephanie said...

Sheesh....Another challenge that I really WANT to join! Man, I'm so challenge challenged right now!! But I haven't read any OSC, and I'm really dying to!! Maybe...just maybe, I will!!

Becky said...

Stephanie,

I do hope you'll join in :) If I said this was a stress-free, guilt-free, free-to-change-your-mind with lists kind of challenge with no deadlines, could I sway you to say yes??? Anyway, no pressure. But I do hope you'll read Card sometime.

Becky