Thursday, April 26, 2007

The World Must Be Peopled

Inspired by Miss Erin, I retrieved my copy of THE RIVERSIDE SHAKESPEARE SECOND EDITION off of the bookshelf. It's not a book I reference often, it's very heavy for one thing--it weighs a little over eight pounds, but it's something that I'd never part with. I chose to begin my Shakespeare challenge by reading my favorite play: MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING.

Much Ado About Nothing is a glorious little play that almost makes me giddy. It's got a little bit of everything: love, romance, villains, mistaken identities, deceptions, and fools. Hero and Beatrice are the two female leads and Claudio and Benedick are the two male leads. Hero and Claudio fall for each other very quickly. But Benedick and Beatrice are always at each others throats. They hate each other. Or so it seems. But then Don Pedro hatches a beautiful, deceptive trap: using their friends and family against them he will make Benedick and Beatrice think the other is head over heels in love with the other. I've included both their responses.

BENEDICK

[Coming forward] This can be no trick: the
conference was sadly borne. They have the truth of
this from Hero. They seem to pity the lady: it
seems her affections have their full bent. Love me!
why, it must be requited. I hear how I am censured:
they say I will bear myself proudly, if I perceive
the love come from her; they say too that she will
rather die than give any sign of affection. I did
never think to marry: I must not seem proud: happy
are they that hear their detractions and can put
them to mending. They say the lady is fair; 'tis a
truth, I can bear them witness; and virtuous; 'tis
so, I cannot reprove it; and wise, but for loving
me; by my troth, it is no addition to her wit, nor
no great argument of her folly, for I will be
horribly in love with her. I may chance have some
odd quirks and remnants of wit broken on me,
because I have railed so long against marriage: but
doth not the appetite alter? a man loves the meat
in his youth that he cannot endure in his age.
Shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of
the brain awe a man from the career of his humour?
No, the world must be peopled. When I said I would
die a bachelor, I did not think I should live till I
were married. Here comes Beatrice. By this day!
she's a fair lady: I do spy some marks of love in
her.


BEATRICE

[Coming forward]
What fire is in mine ears? Can this be true?
Stand I condemn'd for pride and scorn so much?
Contempt, farewell! and maiden pride, adieu!
No glory lives behind the back of such.
And, Benedick, love on; I will requite thee,
Taming my wild heart to thy loving hand:
If thou dost love, my kindness shall incite thee
To bind our loves up in a holy band;
For others say thou dost deserve, and I
Believe it better than reportingly.


But this isn't the only deceptive trap being laid. Don John, Don Pedro's angry brother, has concocted a plan to stop the wedding between Claudio and Hero. Why? He's bitter at the world, and it will make his brother look bad to have encouraged the marriage between the two when it is "proved" she is a whore.

Will Hero's virtue be restored? Will someone step forward to prove her innocent? And what of the love between Benedick and Beatrice? Will it prove true, or will it cease to exist once the trap has been revealed? Will their be a double wedding? Or none at all?

You can read the play online.

More favorite lines:

BEATRICE

Just, if he send me no husband; for the which
blessing I am at him upon my knees every morning and
evening. Lord, I could not endure a husband with a
beard on his face: I had rather lie in the woollen.

LEONATO

You may light on a husband that hath no beard.

BEATRICE

What should I do with him? dress him in my apparel
and make him my waiting-gentlewoman? He that hath a
beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no
beard is less than a man: and he that is more than
a youth is not for me, and he that is less than a
man, I am not for him: therefore, I will even take
sixpence in earnest of the bear-ward, and lead his
apes into hell.

LEONATO

Well, then, go you into hell?

BEATRICE

No, but to the gate; and there will the devil meet
me, like an old cuckold, with horns on his head, and
say 'Get you to heaven, Beatrice, get you to
heaven; here's no place for you maids:' so deliver
I up my apes, and away to Saint Peter for the
heavens; he shows me where the bachelors sit, and
there live we as merry as the day is long.


***

BENEDICK

I do much wonder that one man, seeing how much
another man is a fool when he dedicates his
behaviors to love, will, after he hath laughed at
such shallow follies in others, become the argument
of his own scorn by failing in love: and such a man
is Claudio. I have known when there was no music
with him but the drum and the fife; and now had he
rather hear the tabour and the pipe: I have known
when he would have walked ten mile a-foot to see a
good armour; and now will he lie ten nights awake,
carving the fashion of a new doublet. He was wont to
speak plain and to the purpose, like an honest man
and a soldier; and now is he turned orthography; his
words are a very fantastical banquet, just so many
strange dishes. May I be so converted and see with
these eyes? I cannot tell; I think not: I will not
be sworn, but love may transform me to an oyster; but
I'll take my oath on it, till he have made an oyster
of me, he shall never make me such a fool. One woman
is fair, yet I am well; another is wise, yet I am
well; another virtuous, yet I am well; but till all
graces be in one woman, one woman shall not come in
my grace. Rich she shall be, that's certain; wise,
or I'll none; virtuous, or I'll never cheapen her;
fair, or I'll never look on her; mild, or come not
near me; noble, or not I for an angel; of good
discourse, an excellent musician, and her hair shall
be of what colour it please God. Ha! the prince and
Monsieur Love! I will hide me in the arbour.


***

BALTHASAR (singing)

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more,
Men were deceivers ever,
One foot in sea and one on shore,
To one thing constant never:
Then sigh not so, but let them go,
And be you blithe and bonny,
Converting all your sounds of woe
Into Hey nonny, nonny.
Sing no more ditties, sing no moe,
Of dumps so dull and heavy;
The fraud of men was ever so,
Since summer first was leafy:
Then sigh not so, & c.





3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I looked at the beginning quote and started smiling because I immediately heard Kenneth Branaugh saying that line. Isn't it a great play? I love both the play and Branaugh's film interpretation of it. It is one of the easiest movies, in my opinion, to point to in order to turn people on to Shakespeare. I can see now I'll be watching that one again soon as I have lines zipping through my head!

Erin said...

This play is lots of fun! I love the banter between Benedick and Beatrice.

Beatrice B said...

Ah! I totally love Much Ado about Nothing. I am happy you enjoy the play as much as I do.