Saturday, April 08, 2017

The Dream Keeper and Other Poems

The Dream Keeper and Other Poems. Langston Hughes. 1996. 96 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Bring me all your dreams, You dreamers, Bring me all of your Heart melodies That I may wrap them In a blue cloud-cloth Away from the too-rough fingers Of the world.

Premise/plot: This is an anniversary edition of a collection of Langston Hughes poems originally published in 1932. It is illustrated by Brian Pinkney. The poems are divided into sections: The Dream Keeper, Sea Charm, Dressed Up, Feet o' Jesus, Walkers with the Dawn, and Additional Poems.

My thoughts: I didn't love all sections equally. (Sea Charm has to be my least favorite section.) I did love the sections The Dream Keeper and Dressed Up. Walkers with the Dawn also had some truly memorable poems. The poem you most likely know--perhaps even have memorized is--I, Too which begins: I, too, sing America. I am the darker brother.

Poem
I loved my friend.
He went away from me.
There's nothing more to say.
The poem ends,
Soft as it began--
I loved my friend. (12)
Other favorites:
  • Fairies
  • Song
  • My People
  • I, Too
From Song:
Open wide your arms to life,
Whirl in the wind of pain and strife,
Face the wall with the dark closed gate,
Beat with bare, brown fists--
And wait. (29) 

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: