Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My top ten Dr. Seuss books

I spent all of 2015 reading and rereading Dr. Seuss. I meant to write a top ten list the last week of December. But. Life happened...dramatically...as a few of you know! So here it is a few weeks late.

10. You're Only Old Once! Dr. Seuss. 1986. Random House. 56 pages. [Source: Library]

This one was new-to-me. I definitely loved it. This is probably the only one on the list more for adults than for children.

9. Because A Little Bug Went Ka-Choo! (Rosetta Stone) Dr. Seuss. Illustrated by Michael Frith. 1975. Random House. 64 pages. [Source: Library]

This one was decidedly NOT new-to-me. A favorite from childhood. 

8. The King's Stilts. Dr. Seuss. 1939/1967. Random House. 56 pages. [Source: Library]

This early-Seuss was new to me. It was a DELIGHTFUL book.

7. Green Eggs and Ham. Dr. Seuss. 1960. Random House. 62 pages. [Source: Library]

One of my favorites. 





6. The Sneetches and Other Stories. Dr. Seuss. 1961. Random House. 65 pages. [Source: Library]


I enjoyed all the stories in this collection. It has "The Sneetches" of course. But also: "The Zax," "Too Many Daves," and "What Was I Scared Of."


5. Sleep Book. Dr. Seuss. 1962. Random House. 64 pages. [Source: Library]

Love this "bedtime" book. It makes me yawn just thinking about reading it.


4. Horton Hatches An Egg. Dr. Seuss. 1940/1968. Random House. 64 pages. [Source: Library]

I love Horton the Elephant. I really, really do. 


3. Fox in Socks. Dr. Seuss. 1965. Random House. 72 pages. [Source: Library]

Need I say more than...
When tweetle beetles fight,
it's called
a tweetle beetle battle.
And when they
battle in a puddle,
it's a tweetle
beetle puddle battle.
AND when tweetle beetles
battle with paddles in a puddle,
they call it a tweetle
beetle puddle paddle battle.
AND...

2. Horton Hears A Who! Dr. Seuss. 1954. Random House. 64 pages. [Source: Library]

I love the moral of this one...and it's Horton. How can it not be on my list?!


1. The Cat In the Hat Comes Back. Dr. Seuss. 1958. Random House. 63 pages. [Source: Library]

Without a doubt my favorite. It is so quotable. 

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Lois Tinúviel said...

Love this! There are definitely some Seuss I haven't gotten to yet though. I love reading aloud Fox in Socks.... the challenge is so fun! :)