Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Complete Tales

Complete Tales by Beatrix Potter. 1986/2006. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

Would I recommend reading The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter? Yes, for the most part. Even if I didn't love, love, love each and every story within the collection, I would definitely say that the book is worth having--whether you buy it or borrow it from the library. I love it's completeness. I love that it isn't just a selection of her best-known or best-loved stories. I loved that the book presents her stories in the order of publication. I also love that each story is introduced to readers. Not that this background information would be something you'd need to share with children, but, for adults it's fascinating to learn more about the writing process and the author's personal life.

The book includes:
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
  • The Tale of Two Bad Mice
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Tale of The Pie and The Patty Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher
  • The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers
  • The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies
  • The Tale of Ginger and Pickles
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • The Tale of Mr. Tod
  • The Tale of Pigling Bland
  • Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes
  • The Tale of Johnny Town-Mouse
  • Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes
  • The Tale of Little Pig Robinson

The book also features her "other works." These are "Three Little Mice," "The Sly Old Cat," "The Fox and the Stork," and "The Rabbit's Christmas Party." Some of these are works-in-progress. She'd done the illustrations, or drafts of illustrations, but never completed the text.

The book, I think, definitely celebrates her life as a writer, it celebrates the writing and publishing process--the journey. It was great to have such a thorough collection. I did "discover" new-to-me Potter stories that I'd not read before.

My top ten

1) The Tailor of Gloucester
2) The Tale of Peter Rabbit
3) The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
4) The Tale of Two Bad Mice
5) The Story of Miss Moppet
6) The Tale of Little Pig Robinson
7) The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
8) The Tale of Tom Kitten
9) The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
10) The Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse

Do you have a favorite story by Beatrix Potter?! I'd love to know what it is!
© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

I think I would enjoy this for the introductions. I'm a bigger fan of Potter's illustrations than stories, but I've really enjoyed every biographical thing I've read or seen about her.