Saturday, October 17, 2015

24 Hour Readathon Update Post

I'll be updating this one post throughout the day--I'm not sure how often.

Which hour was most daunting for you? The hour always roughest for me is between 6 and 7pm. That is when I have to fight sleep the most. I usually never try to read during that time.
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I would say The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier.
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Everything was great.
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I love the hosts and co-hosts.
How many books did you read? 7 if you count picture books. Otherwise 4 books.
What were the names of the books you read? All Things Murder. The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root. MARTians. The Story of God's Love For You. How To Read A Story. I Can Read With My Eyes Shut. Oh Say Can You Say.
Which book did you enjoy most? That's hard. I enjoyed all of them. But The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root was magical.
Which did you enjoy least? Oh Say Can You Say.
If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I'd like to be a reader again.

Update five: hour seventeen-ish.
  • I did not make it 24 hours. I never planned to try.  
  • I did read more in the Bible. (1 Timothy, 2 Timothy)
  • I also read one Spurgeon sermon.
Update four: hours thirteen through sixteen, roughly:
  • I finished All Things Murder.
  • I also read The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root by Christopher Pennell. I must say it was DELIGHTFUL. 
  • I haven't walked that much more--I'm tired--but I am up to 8,103. 
  • I probably won't start any more books. But I probably will read some in my Bible, and, then read a Spurgeon sermon or two. 
Update three: hours nine through twelve, roughly:

Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? My current book is All Things Murder by Jeanne Quigley
2. How many books have you read so far? Well, I've read three picture books, one Bible story book, and one book-book, MARTians by Blythe Woolston.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Finishing up All Things Murder. I might get to another book. I might not. We'll see. It's likely I'll start another book, but I'm not sure I'll finish it. I've got more Bible reading to do tonight. (I read some each morning, some each night.)
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? I'm my own worst interruption. I get distracted easily. Like with getting just-the-right kind of music on in the background. And before I know it, I've wasted a good thirty minutes sampling music and still haven't made up my mind!
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? I can't say anything really.
  • I've had supper: chicken-"noodle" soup with lots of veggies, gala apple. (Veggies include onion, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, mushrooms. The "noodles" are gluten-free lentil-noodles. You cannot believe how thrilled I was to discover a gluten-free noodle that I actually really like. (It is not that easy. Believe me. After a few disappointments, I was ready to give up. Almost. Also gluten-free chicken stock. The chicken was a store-bought gluten-free chicken fajita package). For the record, I did not "choose" to be gluten-free. My body chose to rebel against what I wanted and all the hyphens are a result! 
  • I'm about to have another cup of ginger tea!!! 
  • I've read most of All Things Murder
  • I've gotten super-distracted, but I only have myself to blame
  • I've now walked 7,209 steps!
Update two: hours five through eight, roughly:
  • I've had lunch: pork chop, sauteed spinach and mushrooms (olive oil), english peas (organic), half of a fresh peach, some grapes.
  • I've had my afternoon tea--ginger tea. (Triple Leaf Tea, 100% ginger root; in case you're curious about the benefits.)
  • I've showered.
  • I've finished another picture book, one that I think is practically perfect in every way, KATE MESSNER'S HOW TO READ A STORY. I've reviewed it too.
  • I've finished Blythe Woolston's MARTians.  
  • I've written up my week in review post which I do every Saturday.
  • I've now walked 4,715 steps. 
Update one: hours one through four, roughly.
  • I've read some from the Bible. Some psalms, some from Joshua, some from John. I won't add these to my totals unless I finish a whole book of the Bible, in which case I might. Maybe. 
  • I've read The Story of God's Love for You by Sally Lloyd-Jones. 
  • I've read two Seuss picture books, one for this week's Seuss on Saturday, and one for next week's Seuss on Saturday. (This is a project I started in January--to read Dr. Seuss's books chronologically.) I've read I Can Read With My Eyes Shut and Oh Say Can You Say?
  • I've started Blythe Woolston's Martians. But I'll probably not finish it before lunch. I'm enjoying it so far. 
  • I've listened to my Readathon playlist. The new Cinderella soundtrack, the Ever After soundtrack, and now I'm on the soundtrack to MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING. (I love and adore that soundtrack so much.) 
  • I've walked 2,000 steps so far. Not good. But not absolutely horrible either considering.
  • I've had breakfast: gluten-free steel cut oats with coconut oil (instead of butter), honey, cinnamon, and flax seed. Natural (preservative-free) turkey lunch meat. AND one cup of ginger tea, also with honey.
© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Kelly-Belly said...

Awwww! This is so fun! A blogger friend of mine did this a few months ago. I tried it. I cleaned the house all week, went to the grocery store, had one kid go to the grandparents house and had the other kid be with my husband. By the time Saturday rolled around and I was all set to sit on the couch and read...I fell asleep and took a two hour nap...lol. :) I always like reading posts like this though.

Amy said...

Happy readathon! 2,000 steps sounds pretty good - congratulations! Congrats on the reading you've gotten in as well. I hope you are enjoying your day!

shaunesay said...

I definitely hear you on being your own worst distraction, I know I am! Good job on the steps! I did some treadmill reading earlier myself today but you're ahead of me on steps! I'm so glad you joined us this year and hope you're having a great time! Shaunie Team Dogwood

Amy said...

Happy readathon, I hope you're enjoying your reads.