Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Book of Three (1964)

Book of Three. (The Chronicles of Prydain) Lloyd Alexander. 1964. 190 pages. [Source: Bought]

Taran wanted to make a sword; but Coll, charged with the practical side of his education, decided on horseshoes. And so it had been horseshoes all morning long. Taran's arms ached, soot blackened his face. At last he dropped the hammer and turned to Coll, who was watching him critically. 
"Why?" Taran cried. "Why must it be horseshoes? As if we had any horses!"
Coll was stout and round and his great bald head glowed bright pink. "Lucky for the horses," was all he said, glancing at Taran's handiwork. 

Have you read The Chronicles of Prydain? I'm new to the series though I've been meaning to read this series almost as long as I've been blogging. Did I like The Book of Three? Yes, for the most part. Though I liked it more for its promise or potential than its actual content. The Book of Three introduces readers to Taran and his companions. Taran himself is a newly "appointed" Assistant Pig-Keeper. Does he have what it takes to be an actual hero? He hopes so. For part of him longs for real action and adventure and drama. At least he longs for it before he stumbles into it. Is adventure everything he hoped it would be? Is it as thrilling as he hoped? He may be kept too busy to reflect and analyze! For most of the book his very life is in danger...

In addition to getting to know Taran, readers meet Dallben, Gwydion, Gurgi, Eilonwy, Fflewddur Fflam, Medwyn, King Eiddileg, Doli, and Hen Wen (the oh-so-special talking-pig). It is the fact that Hen Wen runs away from home that leads Taran on the adventure in the first place. While tracking the pig, he spots an enemy army and realizes that trouble is coming, that his way of life, his country is in danger.

Would I like The Book of Three better if the names weren't so unique? Perhaps. It can be tricky to keep track of all the characters and where they're from. But I think if I'd read it in one sitting instead of over six or seven weeks, then I'd have found it easier. Still, overall I enjoyed it!

Do you have a favorite book in this series?

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up with these and just did a re-read of them a little over a year ago. Probably the second and the fourth books of the series were my favorites, but I liked them all. :-)