Tuesday, August 26, 2014

What's On Your Nightstand (August)


The folks at 5 Minutes For Books host What’s On Your Nightstand? the fourth Tuesday of each month in which we can share about the books we have been reading and/or plan to read.
I finished five of the books I mentioned in July. Reviews of In Search of England, Dancers in Mourning, Unbroken, The Lost, and Kiss of Deception will be posted in the next few weeks. 


Victoria Victorious. Jean Plaidy. 1985. Three Rivers Press. 564 pages. [Source: Bought]

Still reading this one here and there. I haven't dedicated my time to it. Shorter chapters or even chapters of any sort would be so helpful! 


An Autobiography. Agatha Christie. 1977/1996. Berkley. 635 pages. [Source: Bought]
I am enjoying this one so much!!! It is a fascinating read, and so far I don't even think you have to be a fan of Christie or mystery novels to find it so. (I love Agatha Christie's mystery novels. But her details about growing up are so interesting, so detailed, that anyone who loves history should give it a try.)


The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) Robert Jordan. 1990. Tor. 814 pages.  [Source: Bought]


I am rereading this one. I am enjoying it so far.


Persuasion. Jane Austen 1818/1992. Knopf Doubleday. 304 pages. [Source: Bought]

Persuasion is one of my favorite Austen novels. One of my goals for 2014 was to reread all of Austen's novels.


The Only Thing To Fear. Caroline Tung Richmond. 2014. Scholastic. 288 pages. [Source: Review copy]

You might have noticed that many of my current reads are lengthy. I like to read some shorter fiction as well. The Only Thing To Fear is set in the future, and it's both alternate history and dystopia. The what if of the novel is what if Hitler had won the war, what if the United States was divided into sections and ruled by Germans and Japanese. The heroine is a young woman named Zara. She has secrets to hide from the Nazi, secrets that if known would endanger her life...



© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Barbara said...

OMG! i love your blog, it's amazing <3

PLEASE check out my blog, it’s also about books,I just recently started :D
http://thebookhunter101.blogspot.com/