Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Shiver Me Timbers!

Shiver me Timbers! Douglas Florian. Illustrated by Robert Neubecker. 2012. Simon & Schuster. 32 pages.

Douglas Florian is one of my favorite poets, I do tend to love his books. Shiver Me Timbers has to be one of my favorites. These pirate poems are so much fun!!! I definitely enjoyed the poems and the paintings. (I love the fact that the book says, "Pirates by Robert Neubecker.") I do have favorites, however!!!

I loved the opening poem, "Pirates Wear Patches." From the very first stanza, I knew that the book, the whole book, was going to be great fun.

And I couldn't wait to begin this adventure. I also loved "Me, Pirate." This poem is so much fun, very descriptive, and I just loved the ending! "Pirates Pirate" was also great fun! In fact, it may just be my favorite of the book. (Well, I'm not sure I could pick just one favorite. But if I had to narrow it down to one or two or three, this one would come close to being the one.) Here's how it begins: Some pirates pirate rubies. Some pirates pirate gold. Some pirates pirate diamonds: All that hands can hold.

I just love poetry like this. It is fun, playful, inviting, and it just flows so well, so rhythmic. I would definitely recommend this one!!! And I'd definitely recommend Douglas Florian!

The poems included:
  • Pirates Wear Patches
  • Pirate Patter
  • The Pirates' Code of Conduct
  • Names for Pirates
  • Pirate Punishment
  • Hiring Pirates
  • Pirates' Meal
  • Blackbeard
  • Buried Treasure
  • Me, Pirate
  • Pirates Pirate
  • Turtle Day
  • Captain Kidd
  • Pirate Flags
  • Me Pirate Weapons
  • Rule of the Pirate
  • Pyrates
  • Arrr!
  • A Pirate's Life
Read Shiver Me Timbers
  • If you're looking for fun, playful poetry that may excite readers to read/write poetry
  • If you're looking for pirate-themed picture books
© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: