Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Captain Wentworth's Diary

Captain Wentworth's Diary. Amanda Grange. 2007. Penguin. 304 pages.

Thursday 5 June
At last I am on my way to Somerset!

I do like Amanda Grange's series, and, sometimes I really LOVE her books. But I didn't quite love Captain Wentworth's Diary. Persuasion is one of my favorite books, and definitely my favorite Jane Austen novel. I think I prefer the story from Anne's perspective.

Captain Wentworth's diary begins before he first meets Anne Elliot. The book portrays the courtship of the two, the sweet proposal, the bitter disappointment after she changes her mind. The novel then jumps ahead to Wentworth's successful return. Readers then see the events and scenes of Persuasion through Wentworth's eyes, for the most part. Though it's just a fraction of the story.

I liked this one. I felt Grange got the characters right, for the most part. And it was interesting to see their first meeting. Their first conversation was something. But. It just wasn't as amazing as Austen's original.

Read Captain Wentworth's Diary
  • If you're a fan of Amanda Grange 
  • If you're a fan of Jane Austen
  • If you like historical romances told in diary format 

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Juli Rahel said...

I just finished my review for 'Persuasion' when I saw yours for this book. I do feel that often these kinds of books don't live up to the original! Thanks for sharing and hop on over if you have the time! :)
Juli @ Universe in Words