Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Year in Review: 52 Book of the Weeks









What I've done is gone through my 'Sunday Salon' posts of the past year where I shared my week's reading. I picked my favorite-and-best from each week. These books may not have ended up in that month's top five, but these are the best books I read week by week by week. I chose to focus on middle grade through adult. (I excluded picture books from this list. I'll do a best-of-picture books feature at another time.)

1. The Fiddler's Gun. A.S. Peterson.
2. The Magician's Elephant. By Kate DiCamillo.
3. A Lady Like Sarah. By Margaret Brownley.
4. For Keeps. Natasha Friend.
5. Under the Dome by Stephen King.
6. Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared To Dream. Tanya Lee Stone.
7. Blizzard! The Storm That Changed America. By Jim Murphy.
8. Sweet Thursday. John Steinbeck.
9. Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney.
10. An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793. By Jim Murphy.
11. Cosmic. Frank Cottrell Boyce.
12. The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling. Maryrose Wood.
13. Perfect Chemistry. Simone Elkeles.
14. Catching Fire. Suzanne Collins.
15. Scarlett Fever. Maureen Johnson.
16. Out of My Mind. Sharon M. Draper.
17.  Princess of Glass. Jessica Day George.
18. Countdown by Deborah Wiles.
19. The Bookends of the Christian Life. Jerry Bridges and Bob Bevington.
20. North and South. Elizabeth Gaskell.
21. Ship Breaker. Paolo Bacigalupi.
22. Grace. Elizabeth Scott.
23. The Firefly Letters: A Suffragette's Journey to Cuba. Margarita Engle.
24. Smells Like Dog. Suzanne Selfors
25. Monsters of Men. Patrick Ness.
26. Armadale. Wilkie Collins.
27. The Daughter of Time. Josephine Tey.
28. Real Live Boyfriends. E. Lockhart.
29. The Boneshaker. Kate Milford.
30. She Stoops to Conquer. Oliver Goldsmith.
31. Venetia. Georgette Heyer.
32. A Tale Dark and Grimm. Adam Gidwitz.
33. The Devil in Pew Number Seven: A True Story. Rebecca Nichols Alonzo with Bob DeMoss.
34. Crunch. Leslie Connor.
35. Turtle in Paradise. Jennifer L. Holm.
36. Jane Slayre. Charlotte Bronte and Sherri Browning Erwin.
37. Wench. Dolen Perins-Valdez.
38. The Disappeared. Kim Echlin.
39. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.
40. Bleak House. Charles Dickens.
41. The Wee Free Men. Terry Pratchett.
42. Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance. Jennifer Armstrong.
43. Wintersmith. Terry Pratchett.
44. Doomsday Book. Connie Willis.
45. A Pleasure To Burn: Fahrenheit 451 Stories. Ray Bradbury.
46. Miss Hargreaves. Frank Baker.
47. The Haunting of Charles Dickens. Lewis Buzbee.
48. Bright Young Things. Anna Godbersen.
49. He Knew He Was Right. Anthony Trollope.
50. Lady Anna. Anthony Trollope.
51.  The Weed That Strings The Hangman's Bag. (Flavia de Luce #2). Alan Bradley.
52. Prom & Prejudice. Elizabeth Eulberg.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Sandra said...

The only one of these I've read is "Disappeared" by Kim Echlin, which was a very powerful story. Glad you liked it. Her "Elephant Winter" is another favourite of mine. Happy reading in 2011.

Book Bird Dog said...

Have read No. 51 and have no. 39 on my Kindle. Can't remember if I've read Bleak House. Haven't done any of the others, sad to say.

christina said...

I love what you've done here Becky! And you've really had some great reads. I must get my hands on something by maureen johnson. . .

Platy @ Ereading Junkie said...

Great list. Thanks for posting!

Marce said...

Out of my Mind was great.

I can't wait to read more of Flavia, I just finished the 1st this month.