Sunday, February 07, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #6


Happy Sunday everyone! I was pleased to see the Georgette Heyer Classics Circuit Tour announced yesterday! It will be wonderful to see all those reviews come March! I just love, love, love Georgette Heyer. And I hope the tour can bring in some new readers and create new fans! I'm actually reading The Black Moth, her first book, by the way. And it is so good. So amazingly good. I haven't decided between reading Sylvester and Venetia for the tour, any thoughts on what you want to see reviewed? Chances are I'll get to both this year!

We're also a week away from the announcement of the Cybils. We'll finally learn the winners in each of the categories! (The Middle Grade Finalists, The Young Adult Finalists, The MG Fantasy & Sci-Fi Finalists, The YA Fantasy & Sci Fi Finalists, etc.) I have no idea which books will win--especially in the Middle Grade category. I know that I could *never* choose among the finalists. I'm still seeking out the finalist books to read.

I'm a bit relieved to discover that I was *slightly* wrong about the deadline for the 1% Well-Read Challenge. I thought the deadline was the 1rst of March. But I just looked again, and it's the 31rst of March. Will having thirty days more make that much difference? I still have FIVE books that I'd need to read in order to complete the challenge. I've got a pool of possibilities on my post about the challenge. We'll see.

My mom and I have been too busy the past few months to have any Me? Read That?! fun. (For the record, she did read Life As We Knew It. And liked it. But I completely failed and didn't have questions ready to go. And it just wouldn't be polite (or fair) to do it four months after the fact. I also failed to read At Home In Mitford.) But. Mom is contemplating reading Jane Austen. For the first time. And I'm super excited about that! I'm not sure which one she'll start with.

I did review the 1986 version of Northanger Abbey this week.

What I've Reviewed This Week:

Little Scholastic: Zoo. Illustrated by Salina Yoon. 2010. [January 2010] Scholastic. 10 pages.
Silly Little Goose by Nancy Tafuri. 2010. [February 2010]. Scholastic. 13 pages.
Wow It's A Cow! By Trudy and Jay Harris. Illustrated by Paige Keiser. 2010. [January 2010] Scholastic. 16 pages.
Kitten's Spring. By Eugenie Fernandes. 2010. [February 2010] Kids Can Press. 24 pages.
C'mere, Boy! By Sharon Jennings. Illustrated by Ashley Spires. 2010. [February 2010]. Kids Can Press. 32 pages.
Mattoo, Let's Play! Irene Luxbacher. 2010. [February 2010] Kids Can Press. 32 pages.
Bird by Angela Johnson. 2004. Penguin. 144 pages.
A Million Shades of Gray. Cynthia Kadohata. 2010. [January 2010] Simon & Schuster. 216 pages.
Candor. By Pam Bachorz. 2009. [September 2009]. Egmont USA. 256 pages.
Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story. By Lisa Fiedler. 2006. Henry Holt. 256 pages.
A Small Child's Book of Prayers. Illustrated by Cyndy Szekeres. 2010. [January 2010] Scholastic. 24 pages.
Sunday Is For God. By Michael McGowan. Illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. 2010. January 2010. Random House. 40 pages.
Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared To Dream. Tanya Lee Stone. 2009. Candlewick. 144 pages. [Paperback is coming in February 2010.]
Open The Door to Liberty! A Biography of Toussaint L'Ouverture by Anne Rockwell. Illustrated by R. Gregory Christie. 2009. [January 2009] Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 80 pages.
The Bill Martin Jr. Big Book of Poetry. Edited by Bill Martin Jr. and Michael Sampson. Foreward by Eric Carle. 2008. [November 2008]. Simon & Schuster. 175 pages.

What I'm Currently Reading:



The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer. 1921/2009. Sourcebooks. 355 pages.


The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. 1966. Houghton Mifflin. 423 pages.



The Counterfeit Guest by Rose Melikan. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 432 pages.


Mules and Men by Zora Neale Hurston. 1935. HarperCollins. 336 pages.


What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:



Mare's War. Tanita S. Davis. Random House. 352 pages.


Where The Mountain Meets The Moon by Grace Lin. Little, Brown. 288 pages.


Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney. 2009. Chronicle Books. 366 pages


Running Man by Michael Gerard Bauer. 2008. HarperCollins. 304 pages.

Challenges Joined This Week:

War Through the Generations, Vietnam

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

What a wide variety of books! The Black Moth seems amazing - you're making me want to read it! I'm in love with the cover of The Running Man.

Emidy
Une Parole

Kate Coombs said...

Becky--I just discovered Georgette Heyer last year; she's so good! And I loved Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.

I actually came in here to let you know that I gave you a Prolific Blogger Award today, O Reader Extraordinaire. Here's the link so you can read what I said about your blog: http://bookaunt.blogspot.com/2010/02/thank-you-ev.html

Neil Patrick said...

Great collection of books

thanks dude cool