Sunday, November 08, 2009

Library Loot Second Week in November


You probably have *no* idea how much I've missed the library these past few weeks. But I managed to get there today. And I had some great finds.


Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Note: This one was on the display rack *right* by the check-out. I'd been meaning to give Vonnegut a try, and so this one just jumped into the bag.


Hollywood Buzz by Margit Liesche

Note: Why is it it's not until I get home that I realize this one is the second in the series. Oh well. I picked it up because the cover caught my eye. In a let's-read-the-back-cover way. And when I saw the word WASP (as in pilot), I knew I needed to give it a chance. I suppose I'll give this one a brief try. But I don't know if I can read it knowing that there's a first book out there.


A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell

Note: A Christian book (published by Bethany House) set during Elizabeth England. It's not a surprise this one begged to go home with me.



Colonel Brandon's Diary by Amanda Grange

Note: This isn't the first time this one has come home with me. But it *might* be the last time. I was so disappointed with the last Sense-and-Sensibility inspired book I read, I'm hoping this one will prove better. I see that there is also an Edmund Bertram's Diary. And a Mr. Darcy's Diary. And a Captain Wentworth's Diary. But unfortunately, my library doesn't have any of those. Bother, bother. (Though they do have Mr. Knightley's Diary. I'll have to keep that one in mind.)



The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein by Peter Ackroyd

I was pleasantly surprised to find this one on the shelf. It made my day really! I just hope it's better than A Monster's Notes. If it is, then maybe I'll recommend it to my blogging friends that were so disappointed/frustrated with Laurie Sheck's Frankenstein-inspired novel.



The Memoirs of Mary Queen of Scots by Carolly Erickson

Note: I don't think I've read anything about Mary Queen of Scots (fiction or nonfiction).



The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt

Note: I remember reading Nymeth's review of this earlier in the year and wanting to read it. But this is the first time I've seen it at the library. So I *knew* despite its length (675 pages) it had to come home with me today.

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love that cover of The Children's Book!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Ooh. I've always wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five. Never gotten around to it.

Marg said...

The Children's Book is calling to me at the moment! I hope to read it soon!