Thursday, October 01, 2009

Library Loot: First Week In October


This is me really, really showing restraint! Just three new books. I think I deserve a gold star.



The Jewish Husband by Lia Levi

Note: This one is the winner of the Moravia Prize for fiction. There's just something about this one that said, read me. I don't know what it is about it that just says take me home and read me. But sometimes you've just got to listen.


The Good Humor Man by Andrew Fox

Note: This is another risk for me. Me stepping outside my comfort zone that is. "A witty tribute to Ray Bradbury’s Fahrenheit 451, this surreal, futuristic narrative explores the highly topical relationships between obesity, government health care, pop culture, and body image." I may hate it. I may love it. I may give up on it before the end. But there's just something about all those cheetos.



Girl in A Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold

Note: This is another impulse pick for me. This one is set in the Victorian era and is "loosely" (whatever that means) based on Charles Dickens' wife, Catherine. Okay, a few of you might be thinking, well, that sounds fun. But I know a few of you may be thinking that sounds fun!


Leftover Loot:

A Killing Frost by John Marsden
Darkness Be My Friend by John Marsden
Burning for Revenge by John Marsden
The Night is For Hunting by John Marsden
The Other Side of Dawn by John Marsden
The Belgariad. Volume 1 (3-in-1 collection) David Eddings (Includes: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit)
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier.
Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier
The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Graveyard for Lunatics by Ray Bradbury
Federations. Edited by John Joseph Adams.
Fast Ships, Black Sails. Edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steineck
Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini
Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel
The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet by Colleen McCullough
Emily's Ghost: A Novel of the Bronte Sisters by Denise Giardina
Songs for the Butcher's Daughter by Peter Manseau
Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Restraint?!? It's a lucky thing you have all that leftover loot or I'd seriously worry you were ill! :) L.

Suko said...

Here's a gold star, Becky. I'm sure you really had to hold yourself back at the library. Those naughty books are too tempting!

I wish I could read as much as you do--although I posted more in Sept. due to BBAW and reading challenges.

Ceri said...

Just 3? Well done. ;-) hehe

I have an award for you here:

http://notinthepink.blogspot.com/2009/09/awards-galore.html

:)

DesLily said...

whats with all the books that "include dickens?" Drood/ the last dickens/ now girl in the blue dress?