Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reaing, Read, To Read #28

Happy Sunday everyone! Do you like reading new-to-you authors? I sure do! I've had a great year so far. Who have you discovered this year? Do you have any recommendations for me? (I think it's only fair that now and then you get to make recommendations to me, since I spend so much of my time trying to recommend authors to you!) As for me, this year I've "discovered" John Scalzi, John Steinbeck, Jerome K. Jerome, Anthony Trollope, and Diana Wynne Jones. Just to name a few.

Movies watched this week: Lover Come Back, The Sea Hawk, Jumbo, Bells Are Ringing, Holiday, Charge of the Light Brigade, The Kissing Bandit, Father Goose, Man's Favorite Sport, Marriage On the Rocks, The Tender Trap, The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, The Bishop's Wife.

"Just in Time" from Bells Are Ringing



"The Tender Trap" from The Tender Trap



What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr. 2009. HarperCollins. 389 pages.
Old Man's War by John Scalzi. 2005. 314 pages.
The Local News by Miriam Gershow. 2009. Spiegel & Grau. 360 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

My Parents Are Divorced, My Elbows Have Nicknames, And Other Facts About Me. Bill Cochran. Illustrated by Steve Bjorkman. 2009. HarperCollins.
Three Men In a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. 1889. 144 pages.
Castle in the Air. Diana Wynne Jones. 1990. 383 pages.
Feed by M.T. Anderson. 2002. Candlewick. 300 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Three Men On The Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome
House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones
The Art of Reading. Forty Illustrators Celebrate RIF's 40th Anniversary. With A Foreword by Leonard Marcus. 2005. Penguin.
Junie B. Jone's Essential Survival Guide to School. Barbara Park. 2009.

What I've read and really really need to review: none

What I'm currently reading:

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
She by H. Rider Haggard
The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Clara's War: One Girl's Story of Survival by Clara Kramer. 2009. HarperCollins. 352 pages.
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran


What I hope to start reading soon:

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

and latest library loot.

What I've abandoned:

A Canticle for Leibowitz. Walter M. Miller, Jr. 1959. 338 pages.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I loved Last Night at the Lobster and I keep meaning to try some of his other books.

I'm always on the lookout for great authors that I've not yet heard about.

Stephanie said...

I am constantly blown away by the amount of books you read in a week!!

This year, I read John Green and Melissa Marr for the first time!)

Liz said...

Is "Lover Come Back" a Rock Hudson-Doris Day movie, or am I mixing it up with another one. I think that's one my kids loved when we rented it once.

I have to confess I'm not a Steinbeck fan at all, but yes, I do love to discover new writers. Of course, half the time I forget them as soon as the book is gone... But I'm currently reading "Shooting an Albatross" by THIS new (to me) author, Steven Lundin. It's set in the 1940s, in Hollywood, with romance, suspense and psychological thriller all in there. It's literary fiction, not just words churned out on a page.