Friday, January 30, 2009

The Twilight Zone: The Odyssey of Flight 33


Kneece, Mark. 2008. (December 2008) Rod Serling's The Twilight Zone: The Odyssey of Flight 33. Illustrated by Robert Grabe. Walker.

Transocean Flight 33 departs London bound for New York as scheduled. But a mysterious tailwind sends them far off course, hurtling back and forth through time. Can the crew hitch a ride in hyperspace and get the passengers back to their own time?

I liked this one. You can--if you'd like--watch the full episode on CBS's site. There are some significant changes between the classic episode and the graphic novel. Though I won't list them all by any means. I found some of these changes to be rather curious. More emphasis on the passengers, particularly on one 'crazy' passenger--who starts off harmlessly enough in my opinion asking for herbal tea and later for cashews. But by the end, we've got him rushing the cockpit--though he's stopped by one or two of the other passengers, and eventually he jumps out of the airplane with a parachute strapped to his back. That is just one of many changes introduced by Mark Kneece.

The original episode aired in February of 1961. The graphic novel is set in 1973. Both are enjoyable enough. Mysterious enough. But I prefer the TV show I must admit.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to love watching the Twilight Zone. Thanks for that link...I was so excited to see they have Time Enough At Last posted. I haven't seen that episode in ages, but I remember it as if it was yesterday...a book lover's worst nightmare ;)