Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Travel the World: Belgium: There Are No Such Things As Ghosts..

Eeckhout, Emmanuelle. 2008. There's No Such Thing As Ghosts!. Published by the ever-fabulous Kane/Miller.

This is a small picture book with big charm. I didn't think I'd like it all that much, but it surprised me in a way. I'll try to explain. It's very simple. And simple can sometimes be a very good thing. In this story, the words say one thing, but the illustrations say something very different. There are two stories going on essentially--one revealed by text, one revealed through art. And for some reason or other, this really worked for me. I can't quite explain why.

"When we moved to our new neighborhood, I had to promise my mother that I wouldn't go near the strange old house on the corner. "People say it's haunted," she whispered. Haunted? There's no such thing as ghosts! But if there is...I'm going to catch one!"

So this little boy goes on a ghost-hunt in this house...room by room by room with no luck. But as the illustrations show, there were ghosts here, there, and everywhere.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My little boy really liked this boy as he just learned about ghosts for the first time at Halloween. The story was really cute.

Becky said...

Natasha--I enjoyed this one. I was a bit surprised at how charming it was. But it really impressed me.