Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Sunday Salon: June Favorites

This is my second Sunday Salon post. And I thought I would take a relaxed approach this week (and every week in all honesty) to reflect back on June's reading. If my numbers seem a bit larger than usual, blame it on the 48 Hour Readathon and the 24 Hour Readathon hosted by MotherReader and Dewey.
  1. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.
  2. Genius Squad by Catherine Jinks.
  3. Never On These Shores by Stephen R. Pastore.
  4. The After Hours (Twilight Zone)
  5. Walking Distance (Twilight Zone)
  6. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow.
  7. The Underneath by Kathi Appelt.
  8. Secrets of the Cirque Medrano by Elaine Scott.
  9. Climbing the Stairs by Padma Venkatraman.
  10. Blue Like Friday by Siobhan Parkinson.
  11. Take Me There by Susane Colasanti.
  12. The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner.
  13. Jessie's Mountain by Kerry Madden.
  14. The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry.
  15. Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs.
  16. Aurelia by Anne Osterlund.
  17. Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus.
  18. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson.
  19. Savvy by Ingrid Law.
  20. Confessions of A Serial Kisser by Wendelin Van Draanen.
  21. The Floating Circus by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer.
  22. The Search for the Red Dragon by James A. Owen.
  23. Summer Snow by Nicole Baart.
  24. A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson.
  25. Out of the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst.
  26. A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz.
  27. Peeled by Joan Bauer.
  28. Christy by Catherine Marshall.
  29. Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott.
  30. In Mozart's Shadow by Carolyn Meyer.
  31. I Am Scout by Charles J. Shields.
  32. The Lost Queen by Frewin Jones.
  33. The Queen's Soprano by Carol Dines.
  34. Looks by Madeleine George.
  35. Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler.
  36. In the Company of Whispers by Sallie Lowenstein.
  37. The Trials of Kate Hope by Wick Downing.
  38. The Sherlock Files: The 100 Year Old Secret by Tracy Barrett.
  39. Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee.
  40. Coraline the Graphic Novel by Neil Gaiman and P. Craig Russell.
  41. Skin Deep by E.M. Crane.
Looking back, I read some incredibly amazing and wonderful books that I just can't praise highly enough.

Favorite opening line: On the morning of the best day of her life, Maud Flynn was locked in the outhouse, singing "The Battle Hymn of the Rupublic."

Favorite girl character: Jenna Fox from Adoration of Jenna Fox
Favorite boy character: Kyle Cox, Rosie's boyfriend, in Artichoke's Heart

Top 5 (in no particular order)

Adoration of Jenna Fox
The Willoughbys
Underneath
Drowned Maiden's Hair
Artichoke's Heart

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Shonda said...

Becky-

It truly amazes me how much you read!! I was impressed that I read 61 books so far this year (last year I read 60), but 41 in a month???? I can only dream. Congrats on your progress!

Anonymous said...

Awesome list and hope u got some sleep today, I did:)

Unknown said...

Wow - great list! You have several on your list I've never read, so I'm putting them on my "must read list". Keep up the great reading!

Anonymous said...

Did you read all those books just in JUNE?? My goodness! Fabulous!

Little Lotte said...

Hello. :)

How do you find such books?! I've defitely found some books here that shall go into my "To Be Read" pile!

Anonymous said...

You are the first blogger I've come across who has also read Tim Bowler. Was this a one off or do you know all of his work? I think he is one of the very best writers for teenagers and needs to be much more widely appreciated.

Becky said...

This was my first Tim Bowler novel. I enjoyed it so much that I'm sure I'll pick up another as soon as I get the chance!