Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Travel the World: England: Narnia: Silver Chair


Lewis, C.S. 1953. The Silver Chair.

The Silver Chair is the fourth novel in the seven-book series by C.S. Lewis.

The truth? Though many people like or love The Silver Chair...I'm not one of them. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate the book. I even enjoy parts of the novel a great deal. But I don't love it the same way that I love the other three, the first three. Which is my least favorite of the seven? It would be a toss up between The Silver Chair and The Horse and His Boy.

The story. The story. What is the story. Two kids--Eustace, whom we first met in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and Jill, whom we are meeting for the first time, have unexpected, unplanned adventures in Narnia, a magical land first introduced in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. The two step into the adventure. Their quest? To find the missing prince--a person assumed or presumed dead--the son of King Caspian. (Caspian we met in Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.) Aslan, the lion-king, gives instructions to Jill that will help them on their way. But these instructions require familiarity--memorization--and obedience. Neither come naturally to the children. Along the way, the children meet many characters. Some are friends; some are enemies. Puddleglum is the most interesting person that they meet. He is what I remember most about the novel.

Overall, I liked this novel, but I didn't love it. I think others may enjoy it more than I did.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

heather (errantdreams) said...

It's been so long since I read this series that I honestly don't even know which ones I particularly liked (or didn't) any more!

Jeane said...

I enjoyed it but agree with you, it's not my favorite of the series.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)