Thursday, February 28, 2008

BTT: Favorite Heroines...

btt button

Who is your favorite female lead character? And why? (And yes, of course, you can name more than one . . . I always have trouble narrowing down these things to one name, why should I force you to?)

I'm so going to have more than one. Let's see. There's Laura of course. Laura Ingalls. Laura Ingalls Wilder. The person I wanted to grow up to be. That unrealized dream came about as a mix of the books and the tv show. The tv show had her ever-eager to become a teacher. The books, not so much. I think it was the idea that she was a teacher, a wife, a mother, a writer. I especially wanted to be a writer. Though I did dabble in dreams of wanting to be a teacher for a few years. On to number two. I loved Anne. Ann-with-an-"e" Shirley. Again with the teacher, the wife, the mother, the writer themes. Did the books emphasize the writing as much as the movies? I don't remember. I guess I'll see when I reread them later this year. Another strong factor in loving Anne? G-I-L-B-E-R-T. I loved Gilbert. As far as fictional boyfriends go, he's the best. He had me at hello. But back on topic and back to number three, I loved Ramona Quimby. She's the best. I mean what's not to love? I plan on rereading those Beverly Cleary books closer to April. They're definitely among my favorites. Let's see, am I leaving anyone out? I love Lucy, of course. Lucy from the Chronicles of Narnia. Of course Jane Austen wrote some incredible heroines. But since I discovered them late in life--didn't grow up with them, haven't reread them extensively, etc.--I'm going to leave them off. I don't think I'll hurt Elizabeth's feelings. Scarlett. You either love her, hate her, or love to hate her, or hate to love her. Scarlett O'Hara Hamilton Kennedy Butler. I'm sure I've leaving off some great ones, but I think I've mentioned quite enough!

No comments: