Monday, December 10, 2007

Time for Another Recipe


On many blogs I've been visiting, I'm noticing a trend this holiday season...the sharing of favorite recipes and stories. I've already shared my family's recipe--my mom's recipe--for sugar cookies. But as fun as cookies are, there is always room for more. What I'll be sharing today is a recipe for Dr. Pepper cake. Mom got the recipe from a friend back in the early nineties. I'm assuming Mom's friend got it from another friend who probably got it from someone else. It's easy. It's simple. Seriously, ANYONE can make this one. It's fun. But most importantly it's delicious. It's light. It's moist. This along with the sugar cookies are the two desserts that we (the Laney family) are known for...

Dr. Pepper Cake

For the cake

1 white or yellow cake mix (A cake mix without pudding. Cheap kind is fine. You'll have to trust me on that.)

1 cup Dr. Pepper (1 measuring cup of Dr. Pepper. Which leaves just enough of your 12 oz. can to have some while you're working.)

1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce

For the topping:

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup chopped nuts (pecan or walnut)

Baking directions:

1) Follow the directions on the box of your cake mix. EXCEPT that instead of adding their amount of liquid/water (oil, etc.) you substitute 1 cup Dr. Pepper and 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce.

2) Pour the batter into your cake pan. (It does also work as cupcakes if you prefer.)

3) For the topping, mix your brown sugar and nuts together well. Mixed Well being the key words if you don't like eating clumps of brown sugar. Brown sugar is clumpy and lumpy for the most part.

4) Sprinkle the topping mixture on top of your cake batter.

5) Bake it according to the temperature and time given on the cake mix.

Option: If you're the kind of person that likes cake and ice cream...this cake goes VERY VERY good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. (Might I suggest Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla.) Both Blue Bell and Dr. Pepper are Texas originals.

This cake is good any time of the year. But it does work well for transporting to parties and family get togethers. It disappears rather well too!!! Of course, if this is the first time a person is tasting Dr. Pepper cake...then they might be skeptical...really skeptical. But I've never had this one disappoint. They go from skeptics to fans real quick :)

4 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I've heard of this before, but I've never had it! I'm so glad you shared the recipe! I have to try it!

MotherReader said...

Okay, I never bake, and I mean never bake, but I think I'm going to have to give this a try just to say "It's a Dr. Pepper cake."

Killlashandra said...

This sounds like a great recipe. I made one similar to it with strawberry pop. :)

soleil said...

dr pepper cake? never heard of it but it definitely sounds intriguing. just might have to try it. thanks for sharing! :)