Saturday, September 15, 2007

Keeping this completely hypothetical

As you know I am a challenge-addict. That's nothing new. Since the Spring Reading Thing, I've joined challenges right and left. And I search out challenges. And I get completely giddy about challenges--like the R.I.P. one, for example. And in August I announced I was hosting the Cardathon challenge. And then a few weeks later, I announced I was hosting the Celebrate the Author challenge. Since then, I've thought of another. If there is interest, I'll make plans to host it. And it will become "real" instead of just hypothetical. If there's no interest, then I'll just make it a personal goal.

A) This challenge (yet unnamed since it is hypothetical) would go from January 17th to June 25th. Why those dates? They are right after the ALA Midwinter Meeting and right before the ALA Annual Conference. This challenge would focus on "the best of 2007." Potential participants would choose 4-6 books. The 'eligible' books would be all the ALA Award winner and honor books in addition to the ALA lists (Newbery, Caldecott, Printz, Alex, Odyssey, Best Books for Young Adults, Quick Picks, Notable Children's, etc.), Librarians' Choices 2007, SLJ's best lists, Hornbook fanfare, NYT's best lists, etc. There are many publications--Booklist, SLJ, Hornbook, Publishers' Weekly, etc. that publish "best of" lists. I would if this challenge becomes "real" make a list of these eligible lists/books. And OF COURSE this list would include the Cybil award winners and finalists. I like to see what books pop up on various lists. It's funny how some books will appear on ten or twelve lists. And other books only appear on one or two. Everyone has their own idea of "best" I suppose. Anyway, I like to keep current. And I thought others out there might want to join me in this. Please let me know if this is something you'd like to see happen. If you want to suggest a name, I'm open to that as well. And if anyone wants to make a button, I'd be happy with that too.

4 comments:

Dewey said...

I think you should do it! I don't know if I'd join or not (by then I hope to be more aware of how many challenges I can manage at once) but I love the idea.

Becky said...

Thanks for your input. I'm not asking for commitments at this point. :) But I do want to know if there are other people interested in this type of thing. I know it's something I'll be doing regardless, but if others want to do it too...it might as well be a challenge.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely join if you hosted this challenge Becky! I (and you) will be reading the books anyways, so might as well make a challenge out of it! :-)

Stephanie said...

That's a great idea for a challenge!! (not that I would join...being the challenge addict that I am!) I think I need to join some kind of 12-step program. Hi. My name is Stephanie. I'm a book and challenge addict!!