Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Saturday Review Challenge


A new day means a new challenge. At least if you are as challenge-obsessed as I am. My newest challenge to join is hosted by Sherry of Semicolon. For those that don't know, Semicolon is a great blog that allows reviewers to post links to their book reviews every weekend. (Hence the name "Saturday Book Review." The rules of this challenge can be found here. Essentially the challenge begins now and runs through December 31, 2007. The goal? To read SIX books from the many thousands that have appeared in the archives of Semicolon's site. I have listed alternates as well just in case I change my mind.

1) Book of A Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
2) Leepike Ridge by N.D. Wilson
3) The Measure of A Lady by Deeanne Gist. (This book is one I'm planning on reading for the Christy Challenge as well.)
4) Among the Gods by Lynn Austin (I've been reading this series. You can see reviews of the first three in the series on my "Becky's Christian Reviews" site.)
5) The Wednesday Wars. Gary Schmidt. (Actually somewhat of a cheat. This is one I'm reading right now. But I've just found it in the archives...so it would count here.)
6) Hitler's Canary by Sandi Toksvig

Alternate:

1) Possession by A.S. Byatt (This book, I believe, is on my Book Awards Challenge list.)
2) Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (I love, love, love this book. But haven't read it in ages. I have yet to review it for this site.)
3) To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I think this book is on my Book Awards Challenge list and most likely on my Something About Me Challenge list.)
4) Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko. (I've been meaning to get to this one.)
5) A Drowned Maiden's Hair by Laura Amy Schiltz. (I've also been meaning to get to this book.)
6) Austenland by Shannon Hale. (I would love, love, love to read this book if only I could get my hands on a copy. I have contacted Bloomsbury, but so far though I have received many lovely books...no Austenland...at least not yet. And my library has several copies, but multiple holds for each of those copies.)
7) No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green. (Read this book years and years ago. Okay, more like six. And would love to revisit it.
8) Number the Stars. Lois Lowry. I may be reading this for the Something ABout Me Challenge.

4 comments:

Cindy Thomson said...

Becky,

I've been looking for your email and can't find it. Could you contact me? cindy at cindyswriting dot com

I want to ask you something.

Thanks.
Cindy

soleil said...

there is a movie version of speak and it is surprisingly quite good. of course i still haven't read the book yet (even though it's been on my list for ages) so i don't know how faithful it is. but it is a good movie that has only whetted my appetite for the actual reading of the book.

Anonymous said...

I too have selected book for this challenge.

You list is very good.

Faith said...

I just read Al Capone Does My Shirts yesterday--it's a wonderful read. You'll love it.